Final numbers?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Randy1974, May 9, 2019.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    We see a lot during deer season but they are just not there in the spring at our place, or haven’t been last couple of years.

2. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Folks, there is no doubt that numbers are down but doing nothing but complaining about isn't going to help matters. We all need to focus on means that will impact the overall health of the flock. Predator control, habitat improvements etc. will make a difference. Turkeys are not deer. They will cohabitate certain environments but most needs and likes differ vastly.

cedar creek likes this.
  3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I am working on predator control..and some food sources. Alot of the land i hunt has been logged of mature timber..so i know that is part of the drop. But..#'s declining before any of the logging started. Any suggestions on what a person can do to improve habitat on a 80% clear cut? Other than finding another place?

4. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

A limiting factor is roost habitat. If you dont have it, you're out of luck. Large trees with fairly open understory. If logging has removed the canopy, brush will grow. Good for deer, not for turkeys. Turkeys use their eyes for protection, if they can't see they don't go. Keep understory open. Provide travel coridors from roost, to food, to loafing-dusting areas. Clover and other plantings that attract insects are a vital food source for young turkeys.

cedar creek and hollandhunter like this.
  5. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Another good tip, COWS. Cows do a wonderful job of manipulating habitat to turkeys liking. They keep the brush along the woodline down, they make paths that turkeys will follow, they keep pasture grass low during late spring season etc. Again, not good for deer hunting but great for turkeys.

6. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I wonder what the stats are the last couple of years on license sales? I woud like to know how many tags were sold vs harvested.
    I agree with the predator control. Im guilty of letting yotes and coons pass during turkey season. But i will lay them down come deer season. An maybe this spring and summer get out and try to hunt a few when i can. I called in more yotes this year then turkeys. Atleast 6 mornings i had coyotes skirt my setup looking for me. The morning i tagged out i had one come by just before the bird came over the ridge looking. Just out of gun range cause i didnt know the bird was coming and was gonna shoot it. Soon as it left the bird i was hunting gobbled and came to meet his maker. Txt my hunting buddy down the holler an he was working a bird so i set still. An i looked down the ridge and her was the coyote back trying to slip on my bird that was still flopping. I had to stand up and stump at him to stop him from getting my turkey. Should have shot him but had shells out of my gun and didnt wanna mess the other gobbler that was working up the holler. He wasnt 200 yards. My point is there thick where i hunt. An getting thicker. Mans gotta do something about them and the primary nest radiers.
    My best two spots are prime turkey habitat i think and use to hold many many birds. If the predators were in check i honestly think my spots would still be really good. Sure theres birds but have lost of room to grow the flock for sure.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  7. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    According to biologist, coons are way, way past due for a distemper outbrake. It's the main predator of coons, and takes out a good portion when it strikes. It's supposed to happen every so many years, but we are way past due.
    We got 18 dog proof coons traps last year, bought another dozen this year. Completely shocked at the dozens and dozens of coons we have killed last year and this year. Saw alot more poults after heavy trapping last year.
    We also logged several areas for nesting habitat per the instructions of biologist.

Start trapping coons boys. Especially right before turkey season.

Recurve77 and KYH5N1 like this.
  8. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I've killed more coons than distemper in the past 2 yrs! I don't plan to let up any time soon! IMO, anyone that "corns" deer and doesn't trap 'coons is hurting the turkeys more than they are helping deer!

Recurve77, redjackson and Meatstick like this.
  9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I plan on running dog proof traps this winter for coons.

10. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    I ran a half dozen DPs for 10 nights in February. I caught 15 coons. Should have started a long time ago. I plan to buy more and start earlier next year. Farmer I hunt on estimated he lost 50 acres of corn to coons last year.

Recurve77 likes this.
  11. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I had wondered how good the dog proof traps work. Need to buy a few i guess. Coons are a major problem at all my places tok along with the yotes. Come on distemper. Ha

12. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Also, I know when trapping season for coons is over, but I wouldn't hesitate to trap all the way up to turkey season. I can't imagine ever getting a ticket if you're using just dog proof traps, which are primarily just for coons. As long as you just discard the coons after trapping.

13. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Shhhh

14. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    I hunt in SW Bracken County, within sight of the Pendleton County line. As a result, I always try to compare harvest numbers between that county and as part of the NorthEast Region as a whole. I started hunting there in 2002, so my knowledge is limited to that time range.

For about the first decade I was worried. Bracken had always been a powerhouse in the NE, due to its proximity to the Bluegrass region. It was always near the top of the standings in the NE. Pendleton has always been one of the top counties in the state--much higher than Bracken in the standings. What worried me was that I kept seeing Bracken slide a little year by year. It would have a few good years, but it generally stayed below its average. Pendleton was always going great guns, and the NE in general was doing well. Why was Bracken sliding?

[​IMG]

What I'm now beginning to see is that both Bracken and Pendleton counties have become stable. This is what the KWFWDR basically wants-- a stable population that doesn't differ all that much year-to-year. Bracken's trend is now flat. Pendleton is now flattened considerably with 3 below average years. What is the big story-- the big picture that I'm just now seeing-- is that the NorthEast region's turkey harvests are on a distinct upward trend. While Bracken has assumed a steady state. The NE as a whole is booming. My guess is that hunters are utilizing these counties more. The NE is on its way up, and Bracken's percentage of the total number of birds for the region is declining as a result.

hoene likes this.
  15. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY

I harvested a Jake in on private land (my farm) but I also hunted DB and Mill Creek where I see good numbers of jakes and gobblers in the Fall while bowhunting. I couldn't raise a bird in two good areas which seemed really strange as I know they are there. I walked a total of 8 miles over the course of the season to no avail. I do agree with predator control, my neighbor on the next farm over lost six calves to yotes this Spring. Needless to say, that will be another farm I will attack this Fall/winter to try to help him out. I've planted sunflowers, soybean, millet, sorghum, and field corn over two acres. Hoping it impacts the young ones to give them a start. I've also noticed that I'm seeing an increase of small packs of domesticated canines on my game cams. just turned lose by the irresponsible owners. I moved to a rural county and am amazed at the numbers of dogs I see on the side of the road eating dead or decomposed deer. Wish we had a dog catcher, crazy yo