Filled my buck tag today on the snow!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by whitleycotrapper, Nov 12, 2013.

1. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Went for a little still hunting and scouting trip this morning after an uneventful morning hunt. I was walking in to change some batteries in a couple cameras and heard some scratching in the leaves. Could be for sure what it was but i thought it was turkeys. I peeked over the top of the ridge where my blind feeder and camera was bit didn't see anything so I started over the hill. The hill is real steep so I was sliding down on my butt. I got to the first rutted out trail that angles down the hill and saw what I thought was a deer butt 75-100 straight down the mountain. It was snowing pretty hard an I looked through my scope to get a better look. I looked on 4 power at first but still couldn't tell for sure so I tuned it up to 12 power and saw for sure it was a deer. I watched for a minute or so and finally saw some ears and then a glimpse of a tine and mainbeam. I decided to shoot him but I got fooled a little on the size of his deer. Thought he was a different buck I had been getting on camera looking at him through the heavy snow falling and the trees. Can't take back a bullet though and I'm happy with him. I've lived permanently in Kentucky now since 2005 and this is the first antlered deer I've ever killed here. I actually have pictures of this buck two nights ago over a mile from where I killed him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Congrats! Buddy, Id be happy with him.

3. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Nice deer, even nicer kids. They look like they are happy with the deer.

4. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    Did you club him over the head with that tree?

5. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    No that's where he ended up halfway down the side of the mountain! Broke his jaw in the process of flopping down the hill.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    12X at 75 yds will fool ya for sure :) congrats on your buck. nice looking kiddos.

7. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    Congrats on a fine buck! It was definitely a magical morning! Reminded me of the gun seasons from my childhood when it actually was cold during gun season!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

8. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Hope you could slide him out the bottom if the hill was so steep you had to butt slide down. Pulling one outta there would definately take the fun out of it. Kids look like their proud of ol' dad. Congrats.

9. ratamahatta

ratamahatta 6 pointer

Jan 17, 2010
    Kain-tuck-ee
    Good job buddy, I was out today also and haven't seen anything.

10. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    Way to go man! I scored in the snow this mornin too.

11. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    Congrats on a great buck!

12. forddeerslayer

forddeerslayer 12 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    greenup/lewis co
    Congrats and good looking kids you have.

13. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Yeah that was the good part. Got to slide him all the way down to the cow pasture but it was still a few hundred yards. 100 yards was a flat bench to go across. Buddy was waiting at the bottom for me.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  14. Todd H

Todd H 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2011
    South Central, KY
    Great story and great deer looks almost identical to one I had hang out with me for 45 mins Saturday morning and then bed down 30 yards away until 11 am. Thanks for sharing and love to see the young ones with deer too!

15. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    My kids love all the animals. I make it a point to let the see everything and ask questions and understand what it all about. The little guy doesn't quite understand yet but he can say deer!