Field dressing

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I got to laughing watching my buddy making weird gag noises gutting a gut-shot deer. Was pretty funny. A few days later he killed another clean heart shot but ended up nicking the stomach with his pocket knife. The stomach contents erupted right at his face. He got to puking and i was crying from laughing so hard. SOB moved to cleveland.:( I need another hunting buddy with a weak stomach. Good times lol.
I'm just a hooligan/rabble rouser, so I guess I'm not an option. lol

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Im mad we didnt take xbokilla elk hunting. Is his season done or can he hunt late? I dont know whats going on this year, cant keep up with the “changes”
He has a short window, but I'm not sure when that is. They really screwed the bow hunters this year..... I haven't been over this year. Job situation, I just couldn't commit to anything...

Munson

12 pointer
Dec 24, 2011
Natural Bridge
I dont remember the last deer i actually field dressed to be honest. Growing up i always did as soon as i kilked a deer no matter the temp or situation. But i found out later in life you dont have to in alot of cases. Only thing you cant get it the inside tenderlions. An to be frank most people dont even eat them anyway. An there usually small compared to the outside back straps. I can get both hams,both shoulders,both tenderlions,and neck meat for jerky if i want it in about 15minutes or less if i dont field dress it. Just gotta peel the hide back and go to cutting. Hams are a little tricky getting the ball cord cut but other then that its far easier. An you just do one side at a time. I dont even hang a deer unless i want to cape it. Only way i would field dress one today is if it was hot out and i didnt have time to cut it up right then or something. But even early season if i kill a deer on my places i can usually have it in a cooler on ice quartered in less then a hr and that includes the ride to the house. Then i just dispose of the carcuss with the guts still in it. I have deer on my wall that i killed and never field dressed and the meat was just fine as well.
As far as the smell it doesnt bother me regardless. I grew up killing deer and it just never phased me. I can clean one and go right inside and eat it for dinner. You guys that are timid of the smell of the guts holler at me if you have any questions. I could teach you how to cut one up without exposing the guts.

WTH?!? Who in their right mind leaves those tender morsels for the buzzards? No knife needed to remove those if you got a slit cut in above the hams.
I admit I've forgot to get em a time or two when in a hurry but always go back an get em. Usually head straight to the skillet lol:cool::D

dirtstalker

12 pointer
Nov 20, 2009
Clay County
Never had a problem gutting anything. Ive not.got a weak stomach either though, so im sure that helps. Ive got a few buddies that have hunted for years, and they cant gut anything without gagging and puking, its hilarious at times.
To me, the smelliest thing to clean is a turkey. But i get there innarda out as well. Heart, livers and gizzard are some fine eating.

Latest posts