Field Corn

invasion36

10 pointer
Aug 29, 2013
Kenton Co
I am wanting to put out corn next year instead of beans to rotate crops. Anyone ever broadcast corn seed and have good luck? I have done this with my beans the last 3 years and have had good germination. Corn I am not sure about and I do not have a planter.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Ever seen a corn field after a Gleaner went through it? Plenty of volunteers. Problem with broadcasting corn isn’t it taking hold. It’s more the critters finding it first. Everything likes corn, mice, birds, squirrels, deer, everything.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
Corn would be best in rows. The deer can walk the rows easier. I had a 2.5-acre silage corn field off to itself and where we had some fast-flooding rains it washed a two-foot-wide path across the rows in that field. There all kinds of deer tracks in that path going across that field.
If you are set on corn and have to broadcast the seed, I would go less than 20,000 seeds per acre and I would add soybeans at half your normal rate.
Lightly disc the seeds in.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
Invasion talk to whoever plants around you and see what he would charge to plant your field. You can discuss with him just planting and leaving or potentially harvesting a portion of it as payment. Short of buying a drill, it'd be your cheapest route. But buying a drill, you could put in any/all your crops yourself going forward. Corn likes Nitrogen, most farmers liquid distribute that at diff stages of growth, you could possibly get him to do that for you as well.

Dark Cloud

12 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Lawrence Co.

invasion36

10 pointer
Aug 29, 2013
Kenton Co
Ever seen a corn field after a Gleaner went through it? Plenty of volunteers. Problem with broadcasting corn isn’t it taking hold. It’s more the critters finding it first. Everything likes corn, mice, birds, squirrels, deer, everything.
This happened the first time I tried to plant corn. Turkeys came in and pretty much ate it all.

invasion36

10 pointer
Aug 29, 2013
Kenton Co
Invasion talk to whoever plants around you and see what he would charge to plant your field. You can discuss with him just planting and leaving or potentially harvesting a portion of it as payment. Short of buying a drill, it'd be your cheapest route. But buying a drill, you could put in any/all your crops yourself going forward. Corn likes Nitrogen, most farmers liquid distribute that at diff stages of growth, you could possibly get him to do that for you as well.
I thought about this but the nearest fields that get planted around me that I know of is a few miles away. I’m not sure if that farmer would want to road run his stuff for a little over an acre but it’s worth a shot.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
I planted a field this year (@ 3/4 acre) that had soybean, sun hemp, buckwheat, sorghum, sunflower and corn in it. It was meant to be a late food field, but the SOB's broke down my fence while I was in Canada and started to eat it down. It still has a good bit but not what I was hoping to have. Anyhow all that seed needs @1" - 1.5" seed depth and I don't have a drill either. I got lucky and got about 3/4" of rain just before tilling, so the soil was moist an tilled up nice. I then broadcast the seed, then ran the cultipacker over it with a drag behind it. It was the perfect storm and I got it deep enough and covered and it came up great. If you can time it right it could work. But like BigBonner said, rows work best for corn and beans but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
I used one of these to plant 2 acres of seed corn one year. Its not as bad as you think, but i have good soft loose soil i tilled with my tractor rotatiller, plowing and discing probably wont cut it. I then cultivated, with a walk behind tiller between rows. Its doable, with good results, and not as bad as you think. The money you save on your gym membership should help buy these items, because you will get some walking in.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Yes siree, it's completely doable. Don't take as long as one may think either.

Latest posts