feral hog hunts

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by woodsman92, May 23, 2020.

1. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Anyone ever go on any pig hunts in other states? I talked to a guy a few years ago who told me him and a few friends would go to tennessee every year, stay in a cabin for few days and could kill unlimited hogs. and only a few hundred dollars a piece. I didnt get info from him on what outfitter this was, but any hunt i find online keeps advertising hunting russian boars or razorbacks and the cost will be like 1000 dollars.
    If I could go hunt some feral pigs for a couple hundred dollars I might be interested, but not for some crazy price for some canned hunt for a trophy boar.

2. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Was on a deer hunt in TX and killed first hour first day. Outfitter told his guide to drive me around and I was to shoot every hog I could find! We had fun. I shot 13 in a day and a half. Brought back some good eats! Donated 8 or 9.

3. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    How do they compare to domestic pork as table fair? If they are comparable, I would love to have one behind every tree.

4. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    At that time I was not the "culinary expert" I think I am today! :) But they ate fine to me. Neck roasts in crock pot were exceptional. If I did it now, I'd cure a couple hams, do some butts on the smoker and have a ton of cowboy pork chops! Back then honestly I made some sausage with it and venison and ate it up, did some baked ham and loin but I had no clue what I was doing but they were edible.
    But anything over 120# i donated. Most what I kept was 80 - 140 I'd guess. They do get tough above that.

5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Talk with the ranchers in Tx, see how they like having them.

Drahts and jblack1 like this.
  6. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    Last I knew of in Florida you didn't even have to have a hunting license to kill them on private land. That might of changed by now, it's been a while. The ones I've ate from there I couldn't tell any difference but none were real big. Too bad they're so destructive, be nice to have something good to eat we could hunt year round.

7. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    My younger brother lives in Texas. He said he could find us a place to hog hunt for free but this cv19 put a stop to our plans.

8. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    1819CD72-2DDD-4EEE-8379-9719F2DCB05C.jpeg I have been looking at this place. Seems like a good ranch.

0C9C22C8-173C-4D65-8D69-1A2D1A5D3149.png

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    If you haven't done so, get a list of past hunters to speak with prior to committing any money.

Drahts likes this.
  10. Riflelooney

Riflelooney 6 pointer

Aug 7, 2016
    I go to Texas every March for pigs....this March I combined it with a javelina hunt. It’s a pile of fun.

xbokilla likes this.
  11. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I’m gonna do more research before I go. Log way to drive to get disappointed.

12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’ve thought about going while in Florida before. There’s places down there that will do Gator and Hog deals year round. I’ve seen plenty of hogs down there. If you’re ever near the Sarasota area go visit Myakka River State Park. Wild hog traps everywhere. You’ll usually see a few too...and plenty of gators.

13. 1FowlHNTR

1FowlHNTR Spike

Jul 29, 2017
    Rowan County
    Wild pig, unless it's a bigger pig that wasn't properly handled or bled out you will like it more... it's leaner than domestic and breaks down better. I'm in Texas and give me time, and I can put you on them on public land... it'll be tent camping, but we'll eat good and have fun!!

JR in KY and xbokilla like this.
  14. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    The sows are fine eating no matter how big they are, I’ve killed and ate sows up to 250+ pounds (my scale went to 250 and it bottomed it out) a boar, well he ain’t fit for sh&&, shoot them and let them lay.
    No you don’t want them either, scince I’ve moved back to AL, they’ve come back to our land and have made a mess of our cow pastures and hay fields. Been trying to kill every one I see

15. TN Boar.jpg Some years ago in the early 90's I went to east TN with a group of about 6 other hunters. We hunted in Tellico Plains with Joe Meeks. Stayed at his farm in camping trailers. We fished in his three ponds the day of arrival. Grilled steaks for dinner and were briefed by Joe on the process that evening over a cold one. The next morning we still hunted for 4hrs but only one of our group saw one. After lunch at the farm we took the hounds out. That was a hunting experience I will never forget. With 7 hunters we took turns. One guy was the shooter and the rest hung back and took pics or videos. Joe had a "Striker Dog" which would hunt the trails on a leash until he found a hot trail. At this point he would bay one time and sit down knowing that his job was finished. Then the guide would release two young plott hounds full of pi$$ and vinegar. They would take off barking, running with the shooter and the guide running behind. Once a pig was bayed the hounds would circle the pig nipping at it until the shooter arrived to do his job. It was important to get in position quickly before the pig either shot off running or injured/killed the hounds. It was fast and furious and we harvested 7 pigs. Most were jet black but one was red and one had a white spot on it. My black boar weighted 325 undressed and the largest was just under 400lbs. I got about 2x the meat that I would have gotten from one large deer. It filled 3 large coolers with sausage, pork roasts and chops. I ate on that thing for about 3yrs. The meat was very good but had a musky gammey smell that would penetrate an iron skillet. After a couple of times, my wife refused to allow me to cook it indoors due to the smell. The pic is the boar that I shot which hangs on the wall in my home.

Sadly, Joe was old then and retired are few years back and has since passed on (RIP). To my knowledge nobody filled his role as hunting guide. The area we hunted was 1000 acres which bordered the Cherokee Natl Forest. It was steep and hilly and we were in our early/mid 30's then and ran 2-3 mi per day to get in shape for this hunt. I could not do it today. This was a fun and exciting hunt and cost about $500/hunter for one hog plus guide fee and butcher service. It is as close to dangerous game as you can get this side of Grizzly country or going to Africa. Not that dangerous mind you but you were up close and personal with some big hogs. I shot mine at 5yds and the longest shot we had was 10-15yds. You did not want to freeze up at those ranges. Recommend it highly. Not sure it would be the same to shoot them long range in Texas without the dogs. But would like to try.

Last edited: May 28, 2020