Female no pups

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by EastKy0076, Mar 17, 2021.

1. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I missed that part, glad you posted this, I haven't had a coyote in shotgun range at night while hunting !
    Everything has been at least 75 yrds.

2. EastKy0076

EastKy0076 6 pointer

Feb 13, 2020
    East ky
    Me either and I would like to see them make the night season year round. I doubt it will happen here. I know some other states have it. Why did they make april and may shotgun only?

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I'm not sure but I would say it was for the survival of pups!
    Most people kill coyotes because they hate them, some because they scare them I hunt them for the challenge! I used to love to deer hunt but big money and the fact you can only kill one buck a yr I lost most of my interest in it.
    I coyote hunt to get my fix! I can kill as many as I want, and getting permission mostly because of what and where I work and the fact I know everyone around here and how I was raised to treat people!
    I treat coyotes like game animal as I want to hunt them every yr, statistics tell you that you can not kill them out and if numbers get to low they will breed and make up for it, so to keep them in check you need to keep your numbers at a certain percentage that they don't over populate but are comfortable at there numbers.
    Over population and that's when large game animals and live stock starts getting hit as they run out of mice to eat.
    I have farms that are getting Hugh rabbit population on them that I haven't seen in yrs and I consistently kill coyotes on them, coyotes get blamed for everything but I can't tell you how many times I have seen them out mousing in fields but I can tell you how many times I have seen them killing rabbits! None! I know they will kill rabbits but a rabbit is a big meal to a single coyote two or three field mice every few hrs will keep them fed.

Nock, barney and EastKy0076 like this.
  4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Educated guess, just like the 6.5 max bullet size, it was part of negotiations to get the door open. After a few yrs of no issues, don't be surprised if it's revisited by F&G and opened up even more.

riverboss and EastKy0076 like this.
  5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    The 6.5 sucks! I really wanted to use my 6.8 I never hunt with it and the thermal scope on it would of kept my long range 223 alone, I have another but run a 1+4 power scope on it for hunting in the woods.

6. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    That's one reason I went clip on. Can put the night vision ahead of any optic or red dot so will pull rifle and shotgun duty.;)
    20210312_170316_copy_2016x954.jpg

JR in KY, EastKy0076 and riverboss like this.
  7. EastKy0076

EastKy0076 6 pointer

Feb 13, 2020
    East ky
    That's a great set up. My thermal is on quick detach mount but I haven't zeroed it on any other guns yet. I probably won't be chasing yotes with the shotgun at night . Hope they expand the season but it seems to be comparable to other states structure now. I like to be able to kill them if they respond to calls , and that is challenge with respect to shotgun range.

Mt Pokt likes this.