fell victim to the wicked ford curse!

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by boonectyhunter5618, Feb 20, 2013.

1. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    98 expedition while wife was going to work. COPs go bad at least once every couple years, and good luck finding the one causing the misfire because the damn ecm will not throw a check eng light. Might as well replace them all cause in one week another will go bad. I will never own another ford. Changing plugs in one is a nightmare...oh wait I have had nightmares that didn't make me curse as much as changing those plugs. Just look under the hood; they shove the engine under the dash. Who designs a vehicle with a fuel rail directly over the plugs and coolant hoses just above that?

Oh and just so you know. If you blow the same plug twice you have to have a new head.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. c100max

c100max 8 pointer

Nov 10, 2003
    fle-burg
    That straight six, now there was a motor! Sure wish Ford still had that in their trucks!

3. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Hmmm, my Expedition was a 97 and I had the coil pack replaced one time (owned it for 10-11 years, bought it with 180k on it, sold with 240k on it). After that I simply used my scan tool to identify the mis-fire where the bad coil was and replaced it. 7 of those plugs were a piece of cake to replace. That 8th one was a GIANT PITA to get out. Like you said, under the driver-side dash. It took me about about 20 minutes to get it out which really isn't that long but it was an aggravating 20 mins.

4. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Bought my 03 F150 5.4 new and have had to change a battery, brakes once, tires and one tail lamp. GOOD FOR NOTHING FORDS!!!

5. Best ever!

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I've heard the nightmares about changing the plugs. I've heard at least two mechanics guarantee that 3 out of the 8 would break. I've yet to change the plugs on mine. I bought it at 65k and now it has 140k. My buddy is a mechanic and he basically talked me out of changing the plugs because he said I was just opening myself up for problems. He said go for it if you've got money to piss away.

I was on my way to TN to swamp rabbit hunt last Saturday and the transmission crapped out - no reverse. The estimates I got for a transmission rebuild were $1500 - $1900! A new Jasper was $2700 - $3300! I guess I'm screwed.

7. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    A local shop 2 miles away did a friend of mine's for $1100 with guarantee on it. E4OD trans

8. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Both transmission estimates I got came with a 12 month unlimited mile warranty. And both of the guys have been in business for years and are reputable.

I'm really irritated that the transmission didn't last longer. I take care of my truck and maintain it routinely. However my dad has a Dodge with 199k that doesn't get maintained routinely and the transmission is fine. It is a gas guzzler though.

What the hell happened to American truck manufacturers? Are we supposed to choose the lesser of the evils?

Screw it...I'm hitching my 8 hound beagle pack to a deer cart and mushing back and forth to work!

9. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Who knows how your truck was treated or what it towed the first 65k miles of it's life, though.

10. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I know the guy that I bought the truck from. He's my neighbor and my buddy's cousin. He pulled a pop up camper back and forth from deer camp three times. And he never used the 4wd. He never had any issues with the truck. I got the complete maintenance from the Ford dealership. He sold the truck because his boss bought him the exact truck minus power locks, windows and mirrors for work.

This is the first issue I had with it. Before I bought it we put it up on the lift and noticed the yoke seal was leaking. I fixed it a few weeks after I bought it. I guess I've been lucky I haven't had issues before.

11. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    The straight six was a beast..You coudldent wear it out..Loads of bottom..So easy to work on too..Does anyone miss working on the old engines..As long as it was getting fuel,fire and had oil pressure it was running..LOL The best thing was it didnt look like a four year olds baitcaster birdnest under the hood..Just engine, no wires..

12. You could change out the starter in about 10-15 minutes, without ever crawling under the truck. I also love the 4.0 AMC inline 6 you see in all the jeeps. Too bad the fuel mileage on both those motors sucked.

13. The Lawn Man

The Lawn Man 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2011
    Ky
    Both my fords have glow plugs..hahahah

14. The Lawn Man

The Lawn Man 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2011
    Ky
    Thank the FEDS for how complicated cars are now!!! (REGULATIONS )

15. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yea, mine had a 4 speed with "bulldog" as most called it..1st gear was usless for anything but hauling/towing..I always started in second gear and could third if I wanted..I think I got about 8-10 miles per gallon..This particular truck had a dana 60 rear.
    I dearly loved that truck..It was the very definition of a tough truck..

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013