Feelings on selling ammo

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by muddhunter, Mar 4, 2021.

1. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    What are your thoughts on this? I am in a moral dilemma. I have some various ammo in calibers that I no longer have or that have just shown up over time. Not tons but some. I see these ridiculous prices people are asking and by the time I type up a snarky comment to make about them the ammo is sold. I guess I could give it away, sit on it or I could sell it for a reasonable price. But then I think about it- I could use the money, and I don’t think (I hope there isn’t) there will be another time in my life that you could cash out like this. What are your thoughts?

2. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    If it doesn't bother your conscience and ppl are willing to pay the inflated prices I'd say fire on it... I don't have such dilemma;)

muddhunter likes this.
  3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    If u don't need it, sell it. No-one is forced to buy it. Our free market is nice, profit if you can.
    Now, if you're possibly feeling guilty for asking high prices, I'll do you a favor, sell it to me for what you paid for it and you'll be able to sleep at night.

4. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Sell it to folks you know at a reasonable price since they're less likely to just flip it. Otherwise get all you can out of it. There are folks out there buying at the inflated prices because they have the means to do so. Whether or not their children are starving so they can pay $1 per round for 9mm is their problem.

So I'm not labeled "that guy"... I offered a box of 303 Savage free of charge to someone who needed it since I don't have a rifle for it, despite knowing it could bring a good return if I sold it. I'm not parting with any 5.56, .223, 9mm, etc... Though I could probably retire on what I could get out of it today...lol

5. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    First I'll say this.......I'm not selling mine no matter how much folks are willing to pay. Just not my thing. Having said that, it's on you. You said you could use the money. That makes it simple to me.....list it and sell it !

woodsman92, jblack1 and 1wildcatfan like this.
  6. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    It's impressive how you look out for your fellow man.

CRFmxracer, Ataulbe1, jblack1 and 6 others like this.
  7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Thank you for recognizing my humanitarian efforts and hopefully slow the stress.

Drahts, yote hunter, barney and 5 others like this.
  8. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    If I had a lot of rounds in calibers that I no longer have a rifle to shoot them in, I'd place them on www.auctionarms.com. There people can bid on them and pay the price, which can vary widely, but others bidding on them is what drives-up the price.

9. grinder

grinder 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    If you sell it at a ‘normal ‘ price, chance is that person will make a wad on it. You have had your money tied up in it, sell at market price, just like lobster

10. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I need .380.

Timholt70 likes this.
  11. Brody

Brody 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    I need #4 and under 12 ga

12. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I have given away several boxes of ammo for calibers that I figured I'd never own again.
    That has bit my ass more than once.

I always seem to find killer deals on calibers that I use to own and gave away the ammo to relatives or friends.

never again....

barney, woodsman92 and Junglekat like this.
  13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Keep it. Good reason to buy more guns.

bowhunter269 and muddhunter like this.
  14. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I have sold some ammo over the past month. Had some 9mm sitting around but no gun for it. Was keeping it in case I decided to buy another one, but given the current market value and me also being in a “I could use the money” situation, I sold it. I sold it for more than I gave for it, but not as high as others were selling for. Way I seen it I helped someone out that was going to buy price gouged ammo anyway by selling it for less than what they would of been paying otherwise, and helped myself out by turning some profit too.
    I say sell it.

muddhunter and jblack1 like this.