Feeding Hay

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by mallardkiller, Sep 9, 2019.

1. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    Anyone else already feeding hay to cattle because of the drought....we only had 1/2 inch since july 5th...

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Put the first rolls out August 11. Sucks

mallardkiller likes this.
  3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That does suck. I’d say a lot of people will be selling early due to the lack of hay.

4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I have seen a lot of hay being fed but I ain't there yet.
    Cattle prices are in the Toilet and may not improve much, but you have to sell them anyway. I have over 25 that should have been sold in July. Year old calves.
    Making money is not happening.

5. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    I have several that im fixing to put on hay...my pasture is about gone...there be alot of people hurting this year...i seen hay sell for 90 a roll last year...that probably want touch it this year...be stack up now guys...no joke

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Not yet I haven't. I let the Cows eat down the back 15 acs. Usually I bale it. I did get first cutting of it. But wont get a second. Got 28 acs of hay to cut. Today I put up a electric fence on 8 acs. That is waste high decent grass. Going to put them in there tomorrow. Give the front and back fields a break. My neighbor has been feeding for over a month. 6 bales a week. But he has hay. He just hoping to have enough.

7. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I’m not yet but getting close. Had cattle in back pasture for about week and a half. Pasture pretty much gone there. Turned them up front today hoping it will last a few weeks. Got about 40 calves that I need to sale. Started on 2nd hay cutting today. Thought about not doing a couple farms but think I better cut every field I can for extra hay. Hopefully some rain will come

8. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    Hay shortage will be scary this year for sure...

9. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Agree. I’ve got several wanting hay from me and I don’t believe I’ll be selling any more this year.

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I sold al of my fall calving cows an have early weaned the calves on my heifers. We were going to wean all the big calves on our cows this week but it is just too hot.
    Going to turn cows in on 2 hatfields an ket the graze them down. I may sell a few spring calving cows or heifers. I know I won't have enough hay if we start feeding it now.
    I would recommend early weaning on calves an selling them to save pasture. Doesn't look like any rain in the forecast.

11. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    We had a lot of rain her but it has shut off . . I have plenty of hay and sold some . More to cut and roll.
    My problems is water, I have filled a tank several time now an they are drinking a lot .
    Flies are bad and I spray them when I water or salt , but I have no pinkeye yet. Last year everyone around had pinkeye and we used blackleg with the pinkeye medicine in it.

12. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    Went to cattle sale other day....Prices are crashing momma cows are down bad....futures are down 5 to 6....dont know if very many people be able to dig out after this year...

13. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Was wondering what market was doing. I’ve not checked in about a month.

14. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    Its going to the pooper quick....market is being flooded......im holding mine...im tired of taking a beating...im going to open me a grocery store any sell it for 14.00 a pound like them...ohhh you be able to open carry in my store...no liberals aloud...

barney likes this.
  15. hunt

hunt 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    Internet gold right there....

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.