Feeders

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
We have several homemade pipe feeders plus a few minerals licks. Personally, I liked dumping it right on the ground but my brother went pipe feeder crazy a few years back so now we have quite a few. Good thing about the pipes is that they run down to the ground. Two seasons ago was the first time I tried minerals and will admit that I’m a fan.

ojibwa62

12 pointer
Jul 1, 2018
NOTW
The only issue I have with dumping directly on the ground (which I have done many times) is if it gets rained on it sours quickly and deer will often not eat it..

Now when I dump I am normally doing for pics.. If I and doing to feed or attract I will sling it over a an area of 1500 to 2000 square ft or about the size of an avg home foundation.

Last edited:

dirtstalker

12 pointer
Nov 20, 2009
Clay County
Gravity feeders, or slung out in a big area. Not a fan of spin feeders..more upkeep on them. I like slinging it out, it seems to keep them in the area longer when they come out, and i have less varmint issues. Gravity feeders get taken over by coons and possums pretty quick.

Cornpile

12 pointer
Dec 1, 2006
Kornfield County,KY
Last year ,I put out 750 lbs of corn on the ground.I can see
two open ridges from my box blind. On the short ridge about 100 yds from
my blind,I scattered 250 lbs in a area about 30x40 yds long and wide.
On the long ridge,I scattered 500 lbs at about 100 yds in a 40x80 yd
area. I done this the weekend before rifle season. I had deer all thru gun season
and seen plenty of doe and some nice bucks.
_MG_5721.JPG

elkaholic

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2012
Pendleton County
I posted several of a big 8 and a 10 at my moultre feeder, they don't stay long but they will use them.
The one I posted reguarly made appearances during daylight hours. He was my target buck and I missed him in early muzzle loader weekend. The last day I saw him and got pics of him was 3 days before gun season.

Last edited:

straightup

Spike
Jan 22, 2009
northern ky
I stopped using feeders years ago. with my experience I feel that they think it is unnatural..and even had them spook and they get nervous.. even when they are set to go off in the afternoon. I get better luck when its thrown on the ground..

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
First year on the farm I spread corn by hand, had tons of daytime pics of good deer. 2nd year I put in 250# spinner feeders in 3 locations where I had hand spread before. Daytime pics of good deer went down dramatically. 3rd year on the farm had some daytime pics of good deer in July/Aug, but of the 5 months of season, prolly had 3 daytime pics of good deer. Spread it by hand or try gravity feeder. I'm pulling my spin feeders as we speak.

1Wildcatfan I'd like to hear how your boss bucks hold up to the squirrels. They destroyed everything plastic I've tried.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
First year on the farm I spread corn by hand, had tons of daytime pics of good deer. 2nd year I put in 250# spinner feeders in 3 locations where I had hand spread before. Daytime pics of good deer went down dramatically. 3rd year on the farm had some daytime pics of good deer in July/Aug, but of the 5 months of season, prolly had 3 daytime pics of good deer. Spread it by hand or try gravity feeder. I'm pulling my spin feeders as we speak.

1Wildcatfan I'd like to hear how your boss bucks hold up to the squirrels. They destroyed everything plastic I've tried.
Had 4 up last fall with corn in them through mid January. put corn in them a month ago. No damage so far from squirrels. Checking them again next week.

Teach Deer

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2013
Georgetown
My experience from SE KY (where food is more difficult for deer to find) is that big bucks will NOT come to a feeder (at least during daylight)...that said, I have killed several good bucks because of the feeder...

The feeder will attract does and smaller (yearling) bucks...during the late pre-rut and rut, the BIG BOYS will skirt downwind of the feeder and scent check the does that gather there...

I killed those bucks (with my back to the feeder) watching a trail that looped around the flat where I had the feeder...since the trail was above the level of the flat, the bucks felt safe looking down/scent checking the does...I was 30 ft up in a tree looking right at the bucks looping around about 75 yards away...

Latest posts