Feeder Question

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mistertwister, Dec 11, 2008.

1. mistertwister

mistertwister 6 pointer

Jan 18, 2008
    Williamstown, KY
    I have a feeder question. Do you guys camo your feeders up, or just hang them in the tree or from the tripod? I have a couple of the 5 gallon american hunter feeders that i bought this past summer at TSC. They work well and serve my purpose and were $40. FIll them up once per week. I was hunting near one this past sunday and it appeared that the deer that came in to it were sort of skitish, even though it has been there since June. THey would look up at it and then sort of back away. Do you think maybe they have been under it when it has gone off, and that has them a little gun shy?

I read somewhere how people think that brushing in a feeder helps to keep wildlife from getting skitish, just wondering what if anything you all do.

Thanks
    CHris

2. ben hunting

ben hunting 8 pointer

we don't hide ours. we have seen deer come to the feeder within minutes of it going off. like it was a dinner bell. we have seen them bed down right at the feeder like they were waitng for it to go off. and when it did they flipped out for a few seconds and then came right back. please take note the deer i am talking about were all young inmuture deer. our thinking is that older mature bucks do not come to any of our feeders during the day. they come close, like they are wind checking. if we are hunting a mature buck we back off from the feeder.we have tripod and hanging feeders.

3. Jughead

Jughead Banned

Nov 14, 2006
    Kentucky
    for the last five years ive not painted mine or anything. i would just rope them to a tree and the deer ate out of them great. however,.. this gun season someone come and stole four out of four of my pipe feeders. so next year, they will be camo.

4. DoeMaster

DoeMaster 12 pointer

Feb 7, 2004
    Lexington, Ky, USA.
    Once the critters find out there is corn in them you won't have to worry about if they are camo or not!

Camo might help prevent a thief from seeing your feeder though.

5. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Something else more than likely spooked the deer.....

If it wasnt you it could have been another critter....

6. mistertwister

mistertwister 6 pointer

Jan 18, 2008
    Williamstown, KY
    Thanks for your comments. My feeders are out all year long, the new ones since June. My old 4 inch PVC for 3 years now. I am going to go with option number 3, something spooked them, but not me. THis past weekend, i saw some tracks that i believe were coyote. Have a pair of red fox running the ridge, but these were too big and no dogs that i know of around. I wonder if the coyote's hang around the feeder in the cedars and then spook the deer at times.

Oh well, jsut wanted to know what everyone did about camo. Probably wouldnt hurt anything,

CHris

7. One thing that I have found is that the less you have to fill a feeder the better you are. I use 50 gallon drums to attache my feeder motors to. I also have them on solar panels. This way I can load them with 300 lbs of corn and feed roughly 5lbs per day. That means I will need to fill them about every 60 days. I ain't taking the deer to raise just giving them some candy so they will hang around.

As far as camo, never worried about it. As long as it provides the golden nuggets, the deer could care less what color it is.

8. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Same way as I have mine set up....sometimes they will clog on you and mess up feedings so I screen my corn when I set them up. I set up three like this for diffrent wind directions.

9. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    FYI those 5 gal feeders are on sale now for $22 at TSC...

10. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Thanks for the tip ill pic up a couple and put them on some 55 gallon drums..........

11. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I have two 55 gallon feeders that I mainly use to get an idea on the bucks in the area. I have got pictures with deer looking up at it waiting for it to go off. Amazing in those pictures the deer where sometimes just a minute or two off. Its like an alarm clock for the stupid turkeys. :(

12. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    No need, theres also feeder kits w/o bucket, analog $15, and digital $20. I got one of each, they seem ok.

13. Suthrn2k8

Suthrn2k8 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2008
    Shelby Co. Ky.
    I camo my feeders not for the deer but to help disguise them from other hunters..

14. better with timer to most bucket feeders are photocell an go off at dawn an dusk

15. sa_hunt

sa_hunt Banned

Nov 3, 2008
    Magoffin County
    Chris if your feeders are out "all year long" then you are breaking the law. No feeders can be run from march 1st until june 1st in Kentucky. You need to check your regs. I may have the dates wrong but there are 3 months you can't run feeders in the spring.