Feeder proofing question

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
For those of you that have coon proofed your feeders using PVC pipe over the legs. What size pipe did you use and how long did you make them? Do you have to keep them lubricated with something slick? Do you have pics you can share?

thanks in advance.

Mt Pokt

8 pointer
Nov 8, 2018
Campbell County
I used 4" on my bird feeders all the way up to the lamp shade thing that didn't work, abou 3 feet.

On my Boss Buck feeders I just put a 6x6 block under each leg and that worked. Apparently my coons ain't too swift because they couldn't seem to go from leg to spout.

I tried Crisco and Pam, but those blocks were the remedy.

I don't have a coon problem though. Most I've had at one time was 3.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
Salyersville, Ky
When I used to run a spinner feeder we used that thin aluminum that is used for soffit on a house. It's easily formed and very tough and slick. Never had a problem from coons when using it. Just made sure it was long enough that they couldn't reach over top of it to the wood.
We had a 55 gallon barrel with a spinner on the bottom. Underneath the barrel we had 3, 4x4 legs so we could lower it and not crush the spinner. We had the barrel on a boat winch and that on a pulley about 12 feet in the air. I could raise and lower it using that boat winch and not have to lift any bags over your head. We used the aluminum around the 3 legs so the coon couldn't get to the spinner and spin it out. We put all that on an older electric pole, that was concreted in the ground.

Last edited:

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
coon wants the corn the coon will get the corn. DPs are the best defense.
DPs are great but not enough. If they were I wouldn't be asking for design ideas to keep them out of the feeders. In years past it didn't bother me much but with corn prices as they are it would be nice to keep the coons on the ground picking up scratch corn instead of pulling it out of the feeder.

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
DPs are great but not enough. If they were I wouldn't be asking for design ideas to keep them out of the feeders. In years past it didn't bother me much but with corn prices as they are it would be nice to keep the coons on the ground picking up scratch corn instead of pulling it out of the feeder.
I wish you luck and hope you find a cure. My point is that if they want it they will get it. I am unaware of an actual fix short of the hanging type feeders that rockhouse hunter described. Everyone that I’ve heard of or known to put PVC on the legs just gave the coons a wider pipe to climb. I think a cage helps but restricts your feed flow. I would think that some sort of umbrella type metal collar might work. Sounds like a lot of work though. When you figure it out post it up. A lot of folks would love to stop feeding the lousy chicken killers.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
On spinners I have cages but they still hang and find a way to spill it. On my Boss bucks I tried the boss buck metal umbrella things and that worked for a bit but they figured that out. The metal umbrella things need to be about 6 inches wider to keep them from getting around them. I have an idea but need a serious conduit bender to bend top legs to an 8 to 10 inch offset so they can not reach the feeder. I remember reading post’s about putting PVC over the legs and thought it might be worth a try if someone could confirm.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Why couldn't you fashion a smooth piece of tin in a circle on the outside of the legs. Sort of like rings of Saturn around the outside of the legs. Then attach a screen of chicken wire, or maybe even 2"x4" galvanized wire across the inside of the circle. They can't get through the wire, corn will fall through the wire, and the width of the tin would be too great for them to reach the edge to climb over.

chadwimc

12 pointer
Oct 29, 2004
Earth
I make cages for my feeders. Hardware cloth and zip ties. They will figure it out if you don't do something to eliminate them. It deters squirrels quite well, also. Like somebody said DP traps. Its hard for 'em to reach the spinner if their paw is anchored to the ground several feet away...

feeder3.jpg

hunt

10 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
I make cages for my feeders. Hardware cloth and zip ties. They will figure it out if you don't do something to eliminate them. It deters squirrels quite well, also. Like somebody said DP traps. Its hard for 'em to reach the spinner if their paw is anchored to the ground several feet away...

View attachment 91066

I like the cage, but every plastic feeder I've ever tried the squirrels just eat right through the sides

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
We greased the legs & it kept the racoons out just fine. Didn't work for the darned buck who figured out he was tall enough to tilt his head & either eat the corn off the spinner or knock it out for him & his buddies. Darned deer went thru 150# in about a week.... We built a cage for the spinner & controls (he also got his antlers hung in the wire to the solar charger & ripped it loose) and so far, it seems to be keeping him (and the racoons) out.