Feeder Cattle

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
O
The campbellsville guy has some jersey calves the size I’m looking for and decent price and I just have to keep reminding myself of what you said. Lol
We’ve raised several pairs of dairy steers. Holstein mixes and a couple jerseys. They are fine, but they take quite a while to get up to weight and they simply don’t have the mass that you typically want from a cow you are going to slaughter and eat.

FF/EMT516

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Caneyville, Ky
O

We’ve raised several pairs of dairy steers. Holstein mixes and a couple jerseys. They are fine, but they take quite a while to get up to weight and they simply don’t have mass that you typically want from a cow you are going to slaughter and eat.
Yeah so have we over the years. I was looking to get one about 3-400# already because they take so long. I can’t afford a beef breed unless it’s got a bad eye or something like that to affect the price or I’d go that route.

FF/EMT516

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Caneyville, Ky
What are you thoughts on bottle feeding a dairy steer?
We’ve raised so many of those things over the years. If I was gonna bottle feed any I’d rather go the route of having a nurse cow to put them on. Holsteins get sick and have no will to live and will just lay down and die vs a beef calf will fight until it dies. In my opinion bottle calves just aren’t worth the trouble you go through to get them to weaning.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
We’ve raised so many of those things over the years. If I was gonna bottle feed any I’d rather go the route of having a nurse cow to put them on. Holsteins get sick and have no will to live and will just lay down and die vs a beef calf will fight until it dies. In my opinion bottle calves just aren’t worth the trouble you go through to get them to weaning.
I understand…..but bottle feeders are super cheap and I’ve personally never lost one. It’s a long term commitment and a lot more work. I don’t prefer that method, but was just asking. I need to get some damn fence up around my place because honestly I would welcome a couple orphaned angus newborns. Hell I’d take dairy bull calves and be happy. Just need to be affordable

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
I have no fence…..therefore I have no livestock. Posts themselves are crazy expensive! I 100% need board fence in my front field. I also want it around my barn and behind the house. I need to hit the lottery.

I have a couple of crews tearing out old fence and putting up new this year. It has to be done and it isn't gonna get any cheaper. Fence posts, drilling out rock for post holes, wire and labor - crazy high. And one damn bull can tear out a whole section of fence in just a day or so.

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
The campbellsville guy has some jersey calves the size I’m looking for and decent price and I just have to keep reminding myself of what you said. Lol
Be careful there. He sells some sick calves. I know 2 guys here that have bought feeders from him and half of them were sick and died. They had vet look at those calves. Vet said they were doped up when bought. This guys buys from all over and other states bringing sick stuff.

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
Yeah so have we over the years. I was looking to get one about 3-400# already because they take so long. I can’t afford a beef breed unless it’s got a bad eye or something like that to affect the price or I’d go that route.

I watched three different 400ish pound beef calves sell for around 42cents. One blind, the other two had what seemed like a broken front leg. The old man looked right over at me and said damn should’ve stuck those in the barn.

FF/EMT516

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Caneyville, Ky
@DH13 i know what you mean. But I also remember several years back when I think I paid like $325 for a bottle calf.
@beauhunter41031 that would be ideal for me lol I’m gonna try to go to a sale one day in the next couple weeks. Has anyone paid any attention to United Producers in Bowling Green? When I used to be there all the time they’d have 300+ head on sale day. Now the last couple times I’ve looked at the market report they are doing good to have 150 or more.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
@beauhunter41031 you really did well on your sale. I need to clear out about 10 old cows....before they fall overdead. Maybe next week when my helper (wife) gets back.
I have no calves big enough to sell now cept for a bull calf w a bad eye. Helt him back last time thnkin he might look better.

cedar creek

12 pointer
Sep 7, 2014
Getting ready to wean 6 calves in March, little herd but I enjoy messing with them, pure black angus

Latest posts