FBI uses red flag to seize Marines weapons.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ojibwa62, Sep 1, 2019.

1. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    FBI uses 'red flag' law to seize weapons from former Marine who threatened to 'slaughter' antifa
    by Hunter Lovell
    August 31, 2019 11:24 AM

In July, Shane Kohfield threatened to kill antifa members who he feared would take up arms against right-wing activists. He made the threats on a loudspeaker while donning a "Make America Great Again" baseball cap with a knife and a copy of his concealed carry permit strapped to both shoulders.

"If antifa gets to the point where they start killing us, I’m going to kill them next," Kohfield said outside of Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler's home. "I’d slaughter them, and I have a detailed plan on how I would wipe out antifa."

FBI's Joint Terrorism Task responded within days to seize all of Kohfield's weapons. Agents cited the red flag law to temporarily confiscate the guns, though Kohfield had not committed a crime.

The law allows law enforcement and family members to ask a judge to issue an "extreme risk protection order" that prohibits certain individuals from owning weapons. The statute's intent is to be proactive to inhibit violence before it can occur, and many states are enacting similar laws as a way to combat the increasing number of mass shootings in the U.S.

Phil Lemman, Oregon’s acting deputy state court administrator, said Kohfield gave up five guns, including an AR-15.

Kohfield was also admitted to a veterans hospital in Portland and spent 20 days there. Though he was not charged with a crime, he was barred from participating in the August protests organized by the far-right group Proud Boys in Portland that drew counterprotests from antifa.

Kohfield told the Oregonian he understood why he was taken to a local hospital and prohibited from attending the protests, but he insisted he did not plan to harm anyone.

"I looked unhinged," Kohfield said. "I looked dangerous and have the training to be dangerous."

The FBI refused to comment on Kohfield's case.

"The Portland Joint Terrorism Task Force’s role is to assess, address and mitigate any given threat against the people of Oregon appropriately," a representative for the FBI's Portland office told the Oregonian on Friday.

Basically he did not threaten to start killing for no reason, he was saying if they start it we will finish it..

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    This guy is a dumbass.

00noturkey, davers and High Rack like this.
  3. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    No doubt.....this was free speech until it turned into a threat.

4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Yep. He was stupid for saying that on a loud speaker no less! Got to be smarter than that.

davers likes this.
  5. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

6. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Moron. Should know better living in the state/city he does. It would have been better for him to state, word for word, what the personal protection law is in Oregon.

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I think you guys just failed to realize what just happened there--THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT JUST SEIZED WEAPONS FROM A CITIZEN!!!!

Red flag laws are state laws. Why were the feds enforcing state law? Also, claims that he was issuing a threat are a bit thin, don't you think? What's the difference between what he said and me saying that if someone attacks me with intent to kill me, I will kill them?

Also understand that the law allows law enforcement and family members to petition a judge. So which was it--did law enforcement on their own decide to do this, or was it a family member? Or was it the fact that he said what he said in front of the mayor's house that got his weapons seized? Was there any influence by the mayor on the police to take this action?

And now that he's been committed to a mental hospital, what are his chances of getting his weapons back? Think that might be used against him? And note that while he was not convicted of any crime, he was also barred from exercising his 1st amendment rights also when he was barred from participating in further protests.

How did you guys miss all of this?

8. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    Guys we have the 2nd Amendment to protect one self from a overthrowing government....this almost if not was marshal law being done...there was no direct threat said...he said .."IF" they...

9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    The first and second amendments can be altered legally as long as enough people are for it. Our laws are up for interpretation (how many supreme court decisions are 5/4?) We are dangerously close and anyone who cares about the 2nd amendment better be intentional with their words and actions.
    There is a segment of pro gun folks that cause more harm than good. This dip shit is one of them. There is a difference between exercising rights and making counter productive decisions/statements. I agree with you that his threat was an if then scenario. Eventually he will go free and retain his gun rights (unless he is actually unhinged). Given his actions and words he deserves to be inconvenienced.
    Maybe this case will be the one that shuts down red flag laws in the Supreme Court. OR maybe the majority of Americans will think this one was a clear example of red flag laws working and they will be accepted or expanded because of this dipshits actions.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  10. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    But no problem with the FBI if Antifa goes around threatening about slaughtering everyone else. That's just fine...

ojibwa62 likes this.
  11. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
  12. Imagine a world where your inherent, God given rights can be taken at the whim of gooberment. That is not freedom, that is tyranny. The moron majority will doom us. Shall not be infringed means shall not be infringed, period.

EC, davers and riverboss like this.
  13. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I often contemplate the stupidity of these people who are so willing to call down tyranny upon themselves. These true idiots have no idea what they THINK they desire. They've sat on their fat butts for decades and never learning what oppression really is (like being in Mama's basement for a lifetime--a.k.a. Bolshevik Bernie), they have no clue of the hungry tiger waiting for them to enter the darkness of totalitarianism.

drakeshooter likes this.