Fawn dilemma

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kybuckbuster, Aug 24, 2015.

1. kybuckbuster

kybuckbuster 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    After my most recent card pull, i'm faced with the very real possibility of encountering a doe with her two fawns on opening morning. I know there are many on this forum who would have no reservations with "taking" these fawns, however, I am not one of them for a variety of reasons. So, I would appreciate your thoughts on the likelihood of survival for fawns who might lose their moms on Sept. 5th. I realize a variety of factors may influence fawn outcomes at this point. Are they old enough by early/mid Sept. to survive? Please advise.

2. joint187

joint187 Spike

May 20, 2015
    General rule of thumb if the spots are gone then ( Predators aside) they can survive on its own.

3. Yettislayer

Yettislayer Spike

May 17, 2013
    Central KY
    Joint187 gave you a pretty solid answer... Fawns are weaned from their mother once they reach two months of age, meaning they are capable of feeding themselves and don't rely on her milk. Since the majority of KY's fawns are born in mid-May to mid-June, this should have happened by middle of July or early August. At this time they are also generally swift enough to outrun about anything, just like the dam..... Another fun fact: bucks are less likely to disperse greater distances if they are orphaned in the hunting season (mother is killed while buck is still a fawn). My opinion is to let it sail

4. therookie

therookie 8 pointer

Aug 24, 2012
    I've always heard that same rule. If the spots are gone they will be fine.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

5. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

If one of the fawns is a button buck his survivabilty rate increases if you shoot mommy. If you allow mom to walk he will be displaced to unfamiliar territory. This dispersal helps to prevent in-breeding but subjects the button bucks to so many hazards they say maybe 25% survive their first year.

6. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
  7. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Does with fawns are easier to re-cover after the shot. Just walk in the general direction they ran and when you get close enough the fawns will run off telling you exactly where momma dropped.

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I'm shooting mom and not thinking twice about it. the fawns will be fine.

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Several benefits to just shooting the fawn.

A. The spots can aid in better better shot placement. Aim small .... miss small type of thing.

B. Easier to drag or simply carry from the field. Less physical exertion needed.

C. Shorter process time and with smaller cuts .. easier in general. Also some amount of cost saving due to lesser amounts of freezer paper, tape... ect.

D. Quality & tenderness of the meat is exceptional.

F. Due to the compact size of shoulders and hams make perfect size for grilling and smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. MossyhornMathews

MossyhornMathews 6 pointer

Aug 25, 2009
    Laurel County
    Fawns are off limits to me

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    It's all a mental thing... kinda like those bags of mini Snickers, Milky Ways or Reese's Cups you get at the store. Which you know they taste just like the full size but a bit more convenient to eat.

Fawns are like that.

Just think of them like a walking Happy Meal.... their fun sized.

12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

The milk on their lips comes right off.

13. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    To be serious. 99% will be fine without mom. And like JD said if you ever change your mind about the fawns. Try it. Hams fit into a crockpot and the meat is so much better. Just have to kill a few more. I'm lucky to hunt my own land and live in zone 1 county. So I try for 10 every year. Hope you fill better about your doe harvest now. Happy Hunting and wear your harness.

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've been watching this little feller for awhile now..... he's got somewhat a salt addiction. Which I've got pics of him wheres he's licking my salt block about every 2 hours. Pretty much like clock work... In daylight he's there by 7am... on about 9 he's back .... 12.... 2...4 .. 6 and so on.

Which I don't get all bent out of shape over doing the target buck thing.... but I've been pondering quite often what this little one will taste like. He be dang near salt cured by season opens.
    [​IMG]

15. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Yeh he will be awesome!! Need to put out some garlic and celery and get him marinating on the hoof!! LOL