Favorite Tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Chessie202, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    Mountain majesty, big beef, primo red F1, red deuce are all good commercial varieties with a combination of size, production, shape, flavor and texture. My favorite tomato is mr. stripey, but boy those heirlooms can be finicky. Lemon boy is a good yellow. Carolina gold is another.

Carl, bondhu and barney like this.
  2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I'm growing some mystery tomatoes this year. My wife ordered some sort of flower seeds last year and as a gift they sent a pack of tomato seeds. They came from China, so I might be about to release some new virus on us all. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Carl and JonDunn like this.
  3. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    For hybrids, I like better boy and early girl. For heirlooms I like Winsall, Amana Orange, and Cherokee Purple. Arkansas traveler too.

barney likes this.
  4. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Big boy for all the canning. And beefsteaks for all my samiches. Yummy can’t wait!!!!!

barney and DH13 like this.
  5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I always liked the beef stake, better boy ,better girl.Something I use to do,was save seed out of the little yellow Tommy toes ,called sweeties you use to get at Walmart ,grew good and got gobs of sweet fruit

Carl and barney like this.
  6. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Roma for canning, Mr Stripey for eating (even tho I can't grow the danged things). Love little tiny ones called Sun Gold for snacking. Saved seeds the last time & have about a dozen of them started.

7. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    If you have any in the Ground now, you might want to pull them up and bringem in the house tonight.
    Below 30° will gettum.

8. Wonder how the peas and kale will handle a little freeze? Think I’ll straw mine good.

9. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Anyone on here do tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets. What to do what not to do?

Carl likes this.
  10. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I am worried about my pear and apple trees.

HCDH66 and drakeshooter like this.
  11. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Pretty sure the freeze two nights ago got my apples. Full of blossoms the day before, not a blossom to be seen the next day. Hoping the pears made it through - they'd already bloomed and had small pears visible.

12. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville

Planted Kale, mustard and some Chinese ( something, I know racist ) in October maybe september the last two years and left it in all winter long eating fresh Greens. Never froze.

drakeshooter likes this.
  13. My mother’s garden sage produced all winter long.

I found this on peas, “Young pea plants can survive light frosts, which are classified as air temperatures between 28 and 32 degrees F. These light frosts are actually beneficial to young pea plants, encouraging more vigorous growth and more pods. Harder frosts might harm them, depending on growing conditions and their stage of development.”

Older plants suffer more damage from cold weather and are often killed when temperatures dip below 32 degrees. This problem is rare in a spring planting, but more common in the fall. Just as the peas mature, fall frosts nip them.”

Carl and barney like this.
  14. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    You growing that new Chinese carona carrots?

Feedman and JR in KY like this.
  15. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I think it mutated!