Farming is dangerous

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bigbonner, Aug 24, 2019.

1. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    It's bad when it happens to adult , but I cringe Everytime I ride by a farm and see 8-12 yo on a full sized four-wheeler ripping across a field , with or without a helmet.

2. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    5 or 6 years ago my neighbors let their 8 or 9 year old grandson drive tractors out on the road . I was working out in front of my barn and he was coming up the road on a tractor, a truck was flying up the road and about the time he went to turn onto a side road the truck was trying to pass him on a double yellow line . The truck hit the front wheel of the tractor . A slight bank was all that kept me from seeing the whole incident I heard a loud thump and seen dirt flying way up in the air. I just knew the kids was dead . All I could see was the tractor rolling backwards, the kid was so small you could not hardly see him on the tractor and at that time I could not see him at all. I went to my truck and drove down to where he was at and he was fine . I was RELIEVED to see him alive. I asked him where the other truck was at and they had left in a hurry . He said they did not hurt his tractor and the truck had a bent up fender and door . He said they both just forgave each other and the truck went on. I would say a half a second more in his turn this would have been a different story. The kid was too young to be out on the road driving a tractor. I have not seen this truck since then. The kid did nothing wrong but the truck driver did by fast speed and passing on a double yellow line.
    We have to watch turning in my driveway and the same spot as the kid, as idiot drivers will not slow down and will pass you as you are trying to turn in.

ojibwa62, barney and aaronc like this.
  3. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Ive broke bones been knocked unconscious more times than I care to remember. I pay for it every day and age isn't helping anything. I'm pretty stubborn about going to the dr as well but should have a time or two.

There was a 12yr old girl killed here in the county recently on a SxS. Her 2 passengers never got a scratch but when it rolled the bars hit her head causing to much trauma. Bad deal

4. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

Speed ain't cool.

5. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Glad your OK! I've flipped mine a couple of times, I've been lucky too! Wait until your son gets back so he can go with you, you don't need to be out there alone like that.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    bigbonner and Dark Cloud like this.
  6. Brody

Brody 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    Just found out tonight about this, my Dads friend in OK just bought a new mower,unloaded off the truck and his wife says let me try it out. Got too close to a bank and it rolled and she was killed! Such a terrible tragedy, pray for him guys hes having a hard time. His name is Charlie.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  7. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Sorry to hear that, prayer sent.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Good to hear you came out without much harm. Guy flip one on a cousins property got pinned and laid there near all night before someone went looking for him.
    On farming being dangerous yes for sure. Lost a good friends dad from flipping a tractor over backwards and steering wheel hit him center of the chest and crush him to death.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Mines over 800lbs. Flipped it backwards, handle bars/steering went right across my face. Blacked both eyes and my nose bled for hours. It was dark and I remember looking up and seeing my tail lights straight up in the air. Scary stuff.

10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Judging by most of the stories, yes farming can be dangerous..

But ATVs are more dangerous.

And using an ATV while farming is super dangerous!

RLWEBB likes this.
  11. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    My ATV is old and worn out but it has been one of my best pieces of farm equipment. Ride to chase in cows , fix fence , check on cows , feed cows , Spraying, Check hollows where tractors are not safe to go and quicker on my ATV. This thing has been so handy and I will miss it when she is completely laid down. It has somewhere around 11,000+ miles on it and all of it has been on the farm .

Brody, ojibwa62, dirtstalker and 4 others like this.
  12. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Bigbonner, you need to upgrade to a Polaris ranger or similiar when you give up on the 4 wheeler. They are a bit safer...more handy for some things, less, handy for others..
    I have had both. Glad you are doin better.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Just had a local gal get killed last week on a UTV as a passenger. Couple young kids were hurt bad also enough they life flighted them to a hospital in Indiana. They charge the male operators with murder at this time. Both drunk at 1 am on a strip mine road and one clip the other at high speed. Flip one over and she fell out.

14. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I may do that but " I am temporarily financially distressed at the moment" :(:(:(:(:(

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That's what they make credit cards for.