Farming is dangerous

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bigbonner, Aug 24, 2019.

1. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Glad you are ok Larry. Take it easy and hope you recover quick.

2. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Glad your OK, my dad turned a tractor over in himself and trapped him for 8 hours he still talks about the helpless feeling. Hope I never have that.

3. Brody

Brody 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    Had a cousin that went back to plow after supper one nite,wife went to bed got up next morning and he hadn't come home. When he got off to open gate tractor must've kicked out gear. She found him with the back tire in the small of his back. Got a newspaper clipping with a pic that shows the body.

4. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Someone around here lately died from an atv rollover too.... friend of a friend. Young fellow.

5. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Sounds like a subtle brag to me.

Nock, WildmanWilson and barney like this.
  6. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Larry glad to hear you are ok. Them dang four wheelers are the devil for spraying any hillside. I was mowing the yard on a zero turn two years ago. I learned that the entire yard is fill, and I was mowing the edges when the ground under the back rear tire on the edge let go, in a nano-second it was like a rodeo ride to the bottom of the ridge. Rolled 4 times and by the grace of god I hung in and stayed in the seat the whole way. Minor scrapes and bruises and newfound fear of mowing the edges after that. Amazing how fast a normal task can go off the chart.

Get that leg checked as Bird-Whisperer said, better safe than sorry.

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Glad you’re around to tell about it. I flipped my wheeler once and turned it on its side another. Both times I was going so slow I was almost at a crawl. Just goes to show you things can happen at any time.

8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Flipped a 350 honda fourwheeler years ago. I may have been 20. I've been nervous about riding ever since.

9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    My husband has rolled our Kawasaki 4 wheeler twice, walked away from both but tore a meniscus the first time & had to have surgery. I had the brakes go out on our Yamaha at our farm coming down off the ridge line thru the trees. Was screaming bloody murder when I went past him (he was walking) and THANK GOD he was able to grab the rear luggage rack as I went past and slowed me down... I've not been on a 4 wheeler since.

RLWEBB likes this.
  10. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I use my side by side for everything I can. I have never felt worried in that thing, it's a beast and will go anywhere! Used smartly that power can get you out of trouble just as easy as it can get you into it.

11. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I see I am not the only one who has had a mess up . It took me a while this time to get to moving and I am still sore.
    I got up and out the next morning trying to do some work . After loosening up a little I did good . I went in at lunch and sit in my chair for a bit and really stiffened up . I only took two Ibuprofen and they helped a little.
    My right knee feels good but if I accidentally hit it against something the pain all over my leg is awful. Other than hitting I or touching it, it feels normal.
    Today is a good day , I just wonder what I will tare up today.

Thanks for all the replies.

RLWEBB, Munson, Dark Cloud and 3 others like this.
  12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Ive been afraid to ask how bad the pain was and how long you were going to be down, and figured it would be a few days before you knew. Take it slow.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  13. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Bumps , bruises and scrapes, my joints are not flexible like 10 years ago . I kept moving to loosen up . I was really hurting from my right armpit and across my chest . I may have cracked something. Coughing or sneezing was painful. I am one of those types that won't go to a doctor. I only took two Ibuprofen the whole time, I will live to do something else stupid again.
    I sat here tonight and thought what are the odds of something like this happening while my son was away.
    Every time I am back on the farm working and it gets dark , my son will call to see if I made it in or not.

14. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Let's hope you don't get hurt like that again, we don't heal well at our .....shall I say Advancing age..
    You may have saved one of us from injury by posting your story of the accident. Yesterday, I cut down several dead ash trees for the winters firewood, and escaped injury.. I always feel better when they are laying on the ground and not on Top of me. I always tell my wife where I am going and how long im going to be gone if she is around, and where to find the body before the Coyotes eat it.

Feedman, barney and bigbonner like this.
  15. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Title says it all,...it is DAMN dangerous. I can think of 2 that I've known that's been killed. The in laws had a friend few years back lose a leg,...I think maybe both. Glad your still with the living.