Farming is dangerous

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bigbonner, Aug 24, 2019.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I am just wanting to warn all of you with ATV's to be careful. Things can happen in a blink of a eye.
    This evening I was spraying some hedge apple and honey locust bushes back on my farm a mile from no one .
    I had a full 200 lb tank of spray strapped on the back of my Honda 450 four wheeler and a large battery tied on the front rack. My ATV is old and the brakes are not very good.
    I was spraying on a hillside that was not real steep . I had my hands full trying to guide my ATV and spray . All of the sudden I lost control for the slightest bit and rolled my ATV off a cow path . When I finally came to rest the ATV had me pined down on my right leg between the back tire and my foot was twisted out toward the back . The ATV was still running and finally died. I was facing the bottom of the ATV. I could not move , just sit up . I tried to pull the ATV over a little so I could pull my leg out but with a full 200 pounds of spray strapped on it, I could on barely budge the ATV. I tried to dig the soil out from under my leg but broke my knife . Gas was pouring out of the carb and all over my leg so reached under and turned the shutoff on the gas tank.
    I finally got some rocks and placed them on the upper side of the back tire and every time I rocked the ATV the rocks would roll under the tire . The tank leaked out the spray solution making things lighter.
    Finally after 2 + hours I finally got my leg from between the back tire and out from under the fender but still could not get free .It was getting pretty dark.
    I got to looking and I had the electric cord that run from the battery to the pump wrapped around my leg . My leg was numb and I could not feel nothing. I took what was left of my knife and finally cut that cord .
    It felt so damn goo when I finally got free. I was like a trapped rat . If that ATV had rolled over a little more I would have been all the way underneath it.
    I thought I would be there for hours as I am always away from home late and my wife would not get worried until 12 or 1 PM
    I had no cell phone and my son was in Louisville with his son and wife at a booth down at the Fair.
    I am really lucky that things turned out ok . My leg is killing me and I hurt all over . My back feel like someone used me for a punching bag.

Just be careful is all I can say.

2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Yes you are very lucky. By reading your post you can see a lot of things lead up to this. We don't always look at the risks involved in some common tasks. It's a good reminder for us all.

MoMan and ojibwa62 like this.
  3. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    That's awful! Glad everything turned out ok. Easy to forget how quickly even the most routine projects can turn bad in an instant.

MoMan and FOWLER2671 like this.
  4. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    This was a common task and still went bad . You would not believe the feeling of being trapped for a couple of hours and no one around or even expecting anyone to show up.
    The hill was not very steep and I can drive it with a truck easily. If that thing had rolled on over I would have been in bad shape or knocking on those pearly gates.

5. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    It could have been Worse, but not by much. I was doing the same as you last week....spraying on a hillside alone. My Ranger started to go over but i got the wheels turned just in time.
    I flipped it a couple years ago and never got hardly a scratch.
    We ALL need to be more careful

xbokilla, MoMan, Dark Cloud and 2 others like this.
  6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Scary mister. Try and keep the rubber side down from now on.

7. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Glad you’re ok. Sounded like a very bad time you had. Guy that leases some ground from me did almost the same thing about a month ago. He was spraying the edge of the field and rolled the Atv over on him trapping his leg and folding it up under him and no phone. Luckily he has on side of a traveled road. Finally someone came along after about 20 minutes to help get him free.

8. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    glad ya got through it.. my reflexes were faster at one time, from riding racehorses, and saved me from a bad spill, with the atv. i dont ride at night, by myself, much anymore..
    i kinda miss it in some ways, just not the broken part, that will occur, sooner or later..

9. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Yeah, that's my point. Common place tasks are often the most dangerous because we take them for granted. We don't use the proper risk assessment. We are all guilty of it. I'm just more aware of it in my life because I've had a lot of training in my job. Most accidents are human error. We do dumb things. It takes a close call sometimes to make us more aware.

Nock and bigbonner like this.
  10. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    bigbonner, I’m glad you’re ok.
    You’re probably going to be sore for a while. That just means you’re still alive, so try to appreciate the pain. :)
    Several years ago, I had a 14 gallon sprayer tank on the back of our Grizzly, and it dumped me. In my case, it fell over so fast that it threw me clear, and I was walking back up to it before I knew what had happened. The thing is, it happened on a trail that went from our house, down the hill to a food plot. I had been through that exact same spot lots of times, just never with the sprayer tank on the back. Lesson learned.
    Again, I’m glad you’re ok. I thanked the Lord for you being safe before I posted this.

11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Close call. Glad your ok. WW is right. Simple easy stuff and things you have done hundreds of time are what can get you.

12. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Glad you are okay. Thanks for posting. This should serve as a reminder to us all.

ATVs, tractors and implements, cattle, wild dogs, snakes, bees, ticks....there are a lot of things that can go wrong on a farm. A neighbor's bull got over into my field yesterday and I met my neighbor to help get him. I called my cows up to help lead him to my holding pen. The bull was limping bad out in the field, but when we got him in the holding pen and the neighbor started crowding him to get him in the chute he magically healed-up and wheeled took out after the neighbor and almost pinned the guy against a gate post. He was a raging terror after that. We finally got him in the chute and on the trailer, but he was a big old bull and if he had pinned the neighbor against that post....

My rule is never go out without a cell phone in a pocket where it should be accessible. I try to keep mine in a shirt pocket or back pocket where I can get it out with either hand. My wife usually calls me about every two hours just to check on me - and I do the same with her when she is alone even if she is just working in her garden.

JR PORTER, Nock, Southpaw and 2 others like this.
  13. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    Several years back I was going back on the 4 wheeler to get a deer out . It was all flat ground and right next to the road in a grown up plot. The next thing you know I'm riding into the plot and missed an old drain tile by a few feet . Fourteen stitches in the scalp, broken L3 , pelvis broken 3 places . Trust me I know very well how you felt as I was alone and busted up with the bike flipped over . The adrenaline works wonders when you need it to I guess . I walked about 10 ft to my bike , flipped it on its wheels , got it running , sat down on the bare frame breather top side saddle , shifted it into gear with my hand and rode home. After I made it home a couldn't walk for several months .

14. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Glad you are ok
    God was looking out for you.

There was a guy here in KY recently not so lucky, while bush hogging somehow he fell off the tractor.. I will spare the details..