Farmers

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Tman6493, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    So it sounds like instead of being a farmer I need to open a hemp processing plant for Kentucky.

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  2. Mossy Oak Boykins

Mossy Oak Boykins 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2019
    where my boykins take me
    if you had the land think one of the biggest cash crops of today would be square baled alfalfa hay if weather and ground is right can mow and bale every 28 days horse people will buy

3. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Oh those square bales in 90 degree weather. I just like the memory and not the work .
    If he had one of the new balers that makes the 3 x 8 bales that can be moved with a tractor would be good.

4. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Tman6493, there’s an old saying, Farming can turn you into a millionaire,
    as long as you start off as a billionaire.

There’s an interesting, eccentric farmer from Virginia named Joel Salatin. I haven’t read any of his books, but I’ve heard and read some of his interviews online.
    Here is a brief video I just found:

Stuff like this is interesting to me, but anytime I’ve done the math, the numbers aren’t encouraging.

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Hard to get away from your trade.

Which if your a fireman.... I’d think real hard about getting a fire alarm license or sprinkler license to inspect & test. Maybe even home inspections would be too out of the question.

Businesses, schools, hotels, hospitals.. all have fire alarm systems ... and the larger inspection or repair companies charge a premium. Keep your prices for the service reasonable.... the word will get out and you will have more work than you want.

Munson likes this.
  6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

So far that has not worked out well here. Company bought a old elementary school to turn it into a processing plant. So far it has been a year and they mow the grass around their sign a couple times a month. Have not seen a single vehicle parked in front of the building for that year. They sure talked a good game to those who run the county to buy that school for a couple $ with the promise of several job's.

Dark Cloud and JR in KY like this.
  7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Be a greeter at Wal Mart you will make more money and get to see women in there sexy PJ's all day long.

xbokilla and JR in KY like this.
  8. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    You must not live on Dixie Hwy.

9. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    If it wasn’t passed down be hard to borrow money and pay for it farming

Carl likes this.
  10. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Dammit I hate to hear that

11. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Farming is basically a tax loop hole for the wealthy and elite, good ol days of subsistence farms are over,

12. Bill Nagle

Bill Nagle Fawn

Jun 25, 2019
    Menifee County, KY
    Why no more hemp, if you dont mind me asking?

13. Mossy Oak Boykins

Mossy Oak Boykins 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2019
    where my boykins take me
    i think for all the reasons stated above

14. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    That's right. I used to rent a place on a farm, and the house and apartment were in a type of cul-de-sac in the middle of the pasture. I'd come in after working to 4:00AM and try to go to sleep and some calf would get on one side of the fence around the house, and its momma would get on the other. They would start bawling at each other across the drive way. I'd have to get up, put on some warm clothes and herd the momma over to her stupid calf, by then I was wide awake. Then the dumb things would get loose and cause all kinds of problems. I'd hate to have to raise them to make a living.

15. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Have any of you ran a produce stand? I’ve thought about that just for fun and to meet people. I give most of my vegetables away any ways so I wouldn’t be concerned as much about a profit for that.