Farmers

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Tman6493, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    How many people on here are farmers and if so what do you farm? I’m not posting this because I want to hunt your land. I’m genuinely concerned about the farming aspect. And a clover plot or any other food plot is not what I’m asking about. I have questions.

KYote-Krusher likes this.
  2. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Cattle , corn , soybeans , Hay . Some cigar tobacco when the weather doesn't destroy it.
    What is your questions?

drakeshooter, barney and Dark Cloud like this.
  3. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I have a Hunert Damcows and try to grow enough Hay to get them through the winter. Scaling back to about 80 soon.
    Some folks say I only keep Cows so I can attract Coyotes....

4. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    My wife's family has 300+ acres here in central Ohio that I help out with. Corn, soybeans, wheat, straw, hay.

drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  5. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Damcows and hay. Little jag of corn most years

drakeshooter likes this.
  6. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Beef cattle and hay. Hemp last year....but not likely to grow it again.

drakeshooter likes this.
  7. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    A bunch of cattle that keep me busy feeding all the time and hay. Raised corn and soybeans for years but lease it out now. I Got smart and stopped the tobacco raising too. My wife raises hell all the time does that count as a crop?lol

Bee, Brody, Feedman and 1 other person like this.
  8. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I got a bunch of cows and do hay for them. Raise a big garden.

9. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Me, farming:
    5A925F45-3315-48A8-847E-CD7E205DB0C8.png
    We ran beef cattle and raised hay when we bought our place. It got to be too much when we had kids. It’s not farming, but we’ve logged twice and done ok.
    I’m not working overtime like I used to, and I’d kinda like to get into something to generate a little income off the place.

10. zone1

zone1 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Found out a long time ago that there are easier ways to lose money.

NOCAMST, Munson, Feedman and 5 others like this.
  11. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    What’s the best way for someone who’s out of school to get into farming. Saying that because I don’t think there’s an adult FFA. I’m guessing get a job or work part time on a farm or with something farm related. I will be able to retire at an early age do to starting on the fire department young enough and I have no intention on staying a day longer in this field of work then I have to. So I know after I retire I will still need an income to live like I want to because my pension won’t cut it. I know that’s kind of an open ended question with millions of answers.

I guess my main question is how many of you and how did you start your farm rather then it being passed down to you from generation to generation

12. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    If you don't have ground, buy some. That's the #1 ingredient.

13. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Do you mind posting details on this? Maybe in another thread if it would derail this one. I am aware the seeds/seedlings are stupid high.

drakeshooter and Nock like this.
  14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    If you want to start a small farm and expect to not have another job, It cant be done. You are competing with people who inherited land or bought it cheap. Giant corporate farms with tens of thousands of acres, automation, and big subsidies are the real killers of small farms. Im not going to say they are bad but they arent good for small farmers.
    Now if you have a pile of cash, you can buy land cheap when it comes available. Raise cattle, and cut hay until you can sell the land high then move on to the next opportunity. There’s money to be made here if you are willing to move around to the next opportunity, but you are going to need to already be wealthy.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Bee and JR in KY like this.
  15. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    I’m fine keeping it here. I’d like to know also. I’ve heard this has been hard to get into do to seed prices and some people have wasted all the money getting into it and lost farms over not being able to produce enough for profit. I’ve seen 3 farms of it now but I’m not even sure how popular it is in the state.

carnivore likes this.