Farm tax exempt questions

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
For those of you that have a farm. How do you leverage tax exempt items. Have you ever gotten tax exempt for a new farm vehicle (truck) or pole barn? I'm starting to think it's a bunch of red tape that ends up not saving the farmer any $ in the long run. Your thoughts are appreciated.

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
Disclaimer..I'm not looking to bypass the taxes illegally...just be legal with tax exemptions.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
Items that can be purchased sales tax free for legitimate farm use. Hardware like nuts bolts screws nails. Feed and feed suplanents. Diesel fuel, or write the taxes payed for road fule used in your tractor. Fence and fencing supplys. Farm equipment including atv's used for farm use. Also depreciation of equipment used for farming. Also keep track of all the miles you put on your truck running farm errands to the feed store and hauling hay and such. Im sure I have overlooked some things but its up to you to decide if its something you wish to pursue.

utkpres

6 pointer
Jan 21, 2009
Whitley
I don't believe you can get the tax off an ATV unless you show legitimate farm business. The local dealer used to take the tax off if you had land but a lot of people got letters from Frankfort requesting the taxes on their four wheelers.