Fall plot ready.......

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by SteveR, Sep 10, 2014.

1. SteveR

SteveR 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2005
    [​IMG]With rain in the forecast it was time to get my fall food plot planted. I killed off the ryegrass and clover plot I planted in the Spring last month and cut me a wider path to my plot so I could get some heavier equipment back to it. I cleaned up some stumps, tilled in six 30 lb bags of pelletized lime and then sowed it with Plotspike Forage Oats topped with fertilizer. It cleaned up better than I expected and I'm hoping for some decent results.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Looks great! Only challenge this fall will be leaf cover. It should get a good chance with all the acorns falling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. SteveR

SteveR 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2005
    Good point K9. I hadn't even thought about or considered the falling leaves soon to come. There is an abundance of acorns falling on my place so hopefully it will get a good start and be beneficial for both the deer and myself come late November, December this year. Anyway, its been a challenging and fun learning experience.

4. tmayn031

tmayn031 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    nky
    Looking good... Best of luck this fall with it producing!

5. SteveR

SteveR 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

This is day 10. The Oats are coming up but seem to be thin in places. Will it fill in or should I try to over seed it again? I have about 25 lbs of seed left over.

6. SteveR

SteveR 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

Filling in nice I think. Not much deer sign in it, but I think they are still feasting on the acorns around here. Even the activity at my feeder has stopped. I've only gotten two pictures of deer in the last week....???????

7. mustanginky

mustanginky 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2011
    louisville KY
    Looking good. Mine needs some rain badly

8. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    You REALLY need to put a nice tree-stand in there. Buy some climbing sticks to make in/out easy. But yeah, it'll be a killing-field when acorns thin out...

9. maintenancetech

maintenancetech 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2011
    One thing you may try once leafs fall is to take a leaf blower in there and blow them off. We done this to a small clover field last year and it really seemed to help.

10. SteveR

SteveR 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

He's not much, but considering this deer actually has a rack on his head I'm happy. First time I've got this deer on camera...Nothing but spikes and a four point all summer long.

11. SteveR

SteveR 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2005
    If nothing else, I think it's pretty to look at. LOL The night time pictures have increased in the last week or so, but I only have one daytime picture of a small 8 point feeding in the oats so far. It's really green and the plants are reaching maturity so I am still optimistic that when the cold weather finally gets here to stay and the food sources dry up that the deer will be well aware of this little plot and make it a habit to visit it daily. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  12. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    Thats the spot there! Nice looking plot opened up in hardwoods. Yer gonna get a lot of action when the acorns dry up and come hard freeze.

13. deerpox

deerpox 6 pointer

Dec 1, 2011
    Western Ky
    instead of trying to remove the leaves you could just mow it. that would just turn the leaves to natural fertilizer and it might help with your undergrowth.