Fall Kill Plot

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by NJohnson, Aug 9, 2021.

1. NJohnson

NJohnson Spike

Nov 3, 2018
    Verona ky
    What and when would be good to put out in a 1/4-1/2 kill plot for deer. I do have a rotavator for the tractor.

James Scott White likes this.
  2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I just put mine out, but I know nothing about it but what I've read and asked.
    2 red clover and 2 with biologic greener mix.
    2 are very small and could be eatin to the ground over night, but hoping to create a travel route.

3. BucksnBeards3

BucksnBeards3 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2014
    edmonson county
    I like white clover with a little red mixed in a some winter wheat. It all grows good for me with minimal care. And basically now till mid September is when I plant for fall. Good luck

Jerod and James Scott White like this.
  4. 257Wmag

257Wmag 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2015
    NC
    That small clover is about the only option, maybe throw some cereal rye or oats and turnips in with it to maybe give it a little cover crop. Probably get eaten to the ground if you have many deer. Clover should look good next spring though

5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I getting ready to put in a small food plot but I’m putting a electric fence on it til it gets growing good.

6. Brookky

Brookky Fawn

Sep 18, 2010
    Look at real world food plot seed.

7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    What is the mix? Why is theirs better than buying the same seed at southern states and mixing it yourself for a quarter of the cost?

8. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    Really hard to know without seeing your place and what’s around you. But really hard to go wrong with Clover blend and winter grains. Winter Rye is most pH tolerant.

Oldrook likes this.
  9. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    I like grandpa rays 3way clover mixed with winter rye also. You’ll be surprised

10. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Cereal grain rye and winter oats is what I have used for the last several years. This mix will draw deer all winter if you have enough area to prevent over browsing.

11. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Good raining day so sowed red clover, rape, and winter wheat in freshly dozed soil. Try to get the electric fence on it in next couple days.

James Scott White and Drahts like this.
  12. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    This rain will do it good I hope

James Scott White and Drahts like this.
  13. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I've done that with 3 this year, tired of not getting enough rain to keep up with the grazing. We'll see, we're getting enough lately and looks like more coming. Hoping to get some Pellet Lime and Fertilizer on tomorrow as it looks like much less chance of rain. We've gotten 2"+ since saturday.

My cousin gave me a bunch of fiberglass poles bout 5' long and 1 1/4" in diameter. I drilled 4 holes in them and cut em off sharp. They drove in nicely with the T-Post driver. I use 4 T-Posts one on each corner to draw tight and use the Fiberglass in between. I pull the wire up and zip tie it to the holes. Free fenceposts are the best! :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    mudhole crossing likes this.
  14. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013

If “nature” calls make sure to point away from the fence. Your welcome. Lol

mudhole crossing likes this.
  15. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Cane reed/bamboo are great economy fence posts as well. We used them on our corn patch.