Fall hunting techniques

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by KYBOY, Sep 24, 2020.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    What’s your favorite way to hunt fall turkey? How much calling do you do?

2. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Couple different ways. Mimic the calls they make. Also like lost calls to the boss hen. Can try yelping to a gobbler, they can be called in like that. For the most action, find a group feeding in the woods, get as close as you can, once one sounds the alarm, run into them barking like a dog. There seems always to be that "one" that just stands there wondering what the heck- he's yours. If no shot, find a comfortable seat and once you hear them calling to reassemble, you call one back within range.

Recurve77 and KYBOY like this.
  3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Like KYhunter said, find a big flock in a field, bust em up and sit close. Turn yourself into the boss hen (calling the loudest and most aggressive) and some will come back to you!! Makes for some fun hunting!!

Recurve77 and mac0492 like this.
  4. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    This...if it works out in your favor..its absolutely thrilling. If it doesnt..its still fun

Recurve77 likes this.
  5. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    It works doing that. I’m going this time but I’m gonna start out with gob clucks and yelps. After a longbeard but hey if a hen shows up well I might. Never hunted my farm In fall with shotgun. So we shall see. There’s plenty of hens. Really hate to take one but I reckon one ain’t gonna hurt.

6. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    You can call them off the roost, bust up a flock and call or just locate a flock and call them in. If you get the boss hen talking back she'll pull the rest of the birds along with her. Gobblers and jakes respond to fighting purrs well. I use a box call and mouth call at the same time to sound like two birds. Birds are very vocal in the fall and if you like to call it's a great time to hunt

7. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Fightin purrs for calling toms. Kee kees and nasty yelps for callin hen flocks. I love calling fall birds. I don't think you can over call to them in the fall. Polar opposite of spring time.

Recurve77 likes this.
  8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Busting them up then calling is a blast!

Recurve77 and KYBOY like this.
  9. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    I used to hunt them that way a lot in the fall 15-20 years ago when the turkey populations were experiencing booming growth. Gave it up when populations dropped and I also had trouble convincing myself whether or not to give up some pre rut deer hunts in October. Now that I’m retired I think I’ll give the fall turkey shotgun season. another try. Opens 10/24.

10. beastac57

beastac57 Fawn

Oct 7, 2020
    South Central KY
    Do people use decoys in the fall? I don’t think I know anyone who fall turkey hunts, but I’ve been seeing so many turkeys and so few deer deer hunting lately I’m thinking about taking it up!!!

11. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have. Just like in the spring it depends on the situation. In my experience if you've busted up a flock a hen decoy is a good confidence boost to get other birds comfortable when working them back in.