Fall Bees

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Velvet ears, Oct 14, 2021 at 11:54 AM.

1. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Checked my hives yesterday and I am perplexed. Swarm hive doesn't have any brood cells and all the stored honey has mostly been eaten up. I started sugar syrup and pollen patties. I also took off the top deep and combined them into a single deep. Nuke hive had only a few exposed larvae and capped brood. The 2 deep boxes have lots of exposed honey and some spots of pollen, but none of it is capped. I assume they are starting to feed on it. I added pollen patties to this hive too.

Question: Is it normal for there to be none or very little brood this time of year? I didn't see either hive's queen, but I know the nuke hive queen is there due to the larvae. I assume the fall flow stunk and they have started wintering? I read that with no flow, they focus on feeding instead of egg laying. Am I in trouble?

2. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    I finally had some bees take up in my hive earlier this year. Now they are all gone. I opened it yesterday and there is 6 combs made but none have honey in them. Not sure what happened but hopefully some will come back next year. Some of the comb is black while the outside areas are honey colored. Any idea why?

3. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    They get the comb dirty with their feet. Nothing wrong with it

4. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    It’s normal for them to stop/slow down this time of year. And with no food coming in it will come to a stop. Keep the feed on them until they stop taking it. 2:1 sugar to water. I’ve been making 5 gallons a night all this week and feeding bees at 530 in the dark.

Velvet ears likes this.
  5. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    The comb will turn black after there has been brood raised in it. It’s fine. Odd that they left though.

6. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Forgot to add be careful with the patties. Only put what you think they can eat in a couple days. SHB will take it over. Also good move on taking the top deep off and combining into one deep.