Back to the practical side of oyster mushrooms as a food item. All who plan on eating them should be aware that the oyster mushroom is a natural home/host for the small beetles that are prevalent in them and often seen in some of the mushrooms. The larvae/eggs of the beetles is likely in many/most of the oyster mushrooms we enjoy eating. I mention this because it is important to understand that for food safety oyster mushrooms need to be thoroughly cooked . This is in order to thoroughly kill the beetle larvae. The larvae or their eggs may be totally digestible and they may not be, but you dont want to undercook them or eat them raw and take a chance on making yourself ill. I have never had a problem from eating them but I also cook them thoroughly. May be no problem for any one of us, but just a heads up.