Fall and Winter mushrooms in Ky?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Picked three one gallon bags of oyster mushrooms in a flooded slough in western Ky in last three days. Had a skillet full of sautéed pieces each of last three days.

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    When you get that many do you ever preserve or dehydrate them? Dehydration worked ok but was curious if you have tried various methods.

3. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I have not dehydrated them. I know chefs who freeze them and reuse them; and some others who cook them and then freeze and then use in soups and pizza and things. I have never done either of those methods. I usually eat them fresh , give a lot to family and friends who love them.

Cooked some in sausage leavings in a cast iron skillet in a duck blind this weekend and several folks got to try them for the first time. Funny how many folks who have been in the woods their whole lives are unfamiliar with this mushroom and they look at them in trees all the time.

Some thought I was taking them on a snipe hunt when l started picking them and then frying them. Butter, salt, pepper and fish oysters can cure disbelievers . One of them said " he aint gonna eat that". another said "watch close and see if he swallows them or spits them out" ;)

I think some will be picking them from now on.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    HuntressOfLight likes this.
  4. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a hospital
    IMG_20191223_071808_resize_11.jpg
    Found these in my yard about two weeks ago. I had several more that I slow roasted in the oven and then vacuum sealed and froze. I used them to see how well it worked and they were fine. Beef stroganoff and stir fry!

FOWLER2671, Recurve77 and Bee like this.
  5. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
  6. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    just ate a good strip steak covered in butter, salt, pepper sautéed oysters . pretty darn good eats. you got a good bunch there Nock

Gforcetrivers and barney like this.
  7. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I will be going back in next couple days to get them. I was walking and didn’t have anything.

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Lordy what a discovery, Nock!

9. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I was checking a deserted duck spot today and spied a fresh growth of 10-15 lbs of oysters!! First I have ever found! I was fairly confidant from the pictures posted on this thread so I sacked em up and brought them home only to watch several youtube vids and consult two ID Books before working on them. Cleaned em up and soaked in salt water before bagging several in water to freeze, filled 7 trays on my dehydrator with others and finally drowned the rest in hot butter, minced garlic and S/P!!!

Bee, bondhu, barney and 2 others like this.
  10. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005

11. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Im a little curious about the salt water soak? I haven't heard of that before. Is that something you found on the information you discovered elsewhere besides the Fount of Knowledge on this site:). Only reason I could think of for that salt soak is if the beetles had been in the gills on them? Were there perforations and holes in the gills on the undergoes of some of the shrooms? If the beetles have got in them I usually discard them fwiw. I would think too much salt in a brine could really affect the taste. Ive never done that.

Im glad to hear you found them after asking a lot of questions here about them recently.

I found the motherland l described last week in a duck hunting slough out your way. Old willow logs are good places over water. Now that you have spotted them you will be seeing them all the time I bet. Just dont wreck the truck slamming on the brakes to back up. :D

FOWLER2671 and barney like this.
  12. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    The saltwater soak is just what I do to critters etc. It just seems natural to do it to mushrooms as well. Mine were very fresh so no damage to speak of. I washed them off with nothing but cold water and my fingers. I cut a few dirty stems off and rubbed a few spots with a knife but not much.

The ones I cooked were excellent!

barney and Bee like this.
  13. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    On the dehydrator, I sliced them about 1/2 inch thick and spread them on the trays. I sprinkled some table salt on them the same as I do tomatoes when I dry them. I let them go overnight. Top couple trays were almost done and the bottom tray looked like it had just been started... Mecco comes with five trays. seven may be too much for it.

bondhu, barney and Bee like this.
  14. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    :)The mushrooms are not critters with blood to brine-remove...:) am curious to hear how salty they turn out. You may be on to something....I do not even wash mine off when fresh. I take them straight from tree to skillet or in to a zip lock and the cool space and then to skillet. Ones I had last night were from the west ky pick ten days ago and then out of zip lock before cooking ---never washed or wet. Too much water in the skillet tends to stew the pieces in to a very soft texture in my experience. I like that chewy texture.

bondhu and barney like this.
  15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've had good fresh oysters last for a couple of weeks in the fridge in a Ziploc bag just like, Bee said.

Bee and FOWLER2671 like this.