Fair lease price for this place?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by snortwheeze, Dec 28, 2018.

1. snortwheeze

snortwheeze 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2004
    No nerve hit. I wasn’t trying to be a jerk. Just don’t want to give anymore info. Already had some pms trying to get in on the action.

2. benhoward

benhoward Fawn

Oct 16, 2008
    the guy locally gets $16 per acre, i hope you can do better, and probably should since you personally know him, good luck with it.

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Fawn

Dec 2, 2018
    Ohio
    Sounds a little dirty trying to slide in after you clearly said he doesn't want anyone else in there. Maybe they had good intentions though. I don't know.

4. T-wil69

T-wil69 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    Small tracts around here will go for $12 an acre, big tracks for $20-$25 an acre, get out your calculator, clean the coffee up you just spit out and try to get some sleep

1wildcatfan likes this.
  5. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Price can be anywhere from $3 to $10 per acre in a zone 4,
    I'd only pay for the hunting area not the whole farm, that's fair to the hunters and the farmer.
    I'd also stipulate on the agreement of such areas for food plots which would be taken care of the the hunters involved,
    even if it meant fencing a 1 strand fence just to mark the area off limits to other farmers that may cut hay.
    After a price is agreed on then you'd want to also get in writing that it IS a 5 year lease agreement,
    just so you don't do a bunch of work just to have it leased out to someone else the next year,
    if you don't think that could happen then you're very mistaken.
    Also something else to add in writing is all of the hunters can only bring their kids, not nieces or nephews and other family and friends, it can and will happen if it's not in writing.

It's happened to me on a lease with a landowner that I would've never imagined would do that to me,
    "little ol lady" called me just before the first muzzle loader season and told me that I couldn't hunt and we had just negotiated a new lease agreement the weekend before.

6. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I've leased a few different properties with other people,
    all these problems I have mentioned can and will happen if it's not in writing and some will still try to push the limits on what happens.

7. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    From what you are describing to me it's a $3 per acre on a 5 year agreement with the clause of negotiating after the 5 years, improved habitat will improve deer quality and quantity, at that time you'll want to pay a little more for a better hunting spot.
    Use the trespassers and low deer numbers and it being your responsibility for these problems as a negotiating tool.

8. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Bahahahah your nuts Do not offer 3500 !!!!!! I dont give a crap what these out of state hoodlums are doing. You can still lease land cheap. Making the first offer would be just plain stupid. Find out what he wants then go from there. Sounds like 1-1500 to me

9. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    NEVER put a price on something that others own, let them give you a price first, then go from there.
    That way you're not overpaying or insulting either way.

hickslawns likes this.
  10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    All I am saying is it will bring that to out of state folks want land in KY. I know this because I check the online lease outfits weekly, what you or a native would pay is irrelevant. This is why lease prices in KY, IL, OH and other big buck states are through the roof because there is always someone who will pay. In the next few years it's going to be close to impossible to gain access to land without paying through the nose.

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  11. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    Good luck, this is a interesting thread to hear the opinions and prices. I live in a zone 4, and my experience is unless you live on that property or within seeing distance, then good luck on keeping the trespassers out and poachers off the fields at night. Also, if you know the farmer, he might cut you a great deal just to recoup some cash. So don't go overboard, but I would start low 500.00 and then a little higher until you are happy with your agreement. Keep in mind, in zone 4s, you can about buy property for the price some of these guys are leasing hunting rights.

1wildcatfan and dirtstalker like this.
  12. josh sanders

josh sanders Fawn

Dec 29, 2018
    Eastern Ky
    I also live in Zone 4 , I am very surprised at some of the prices that are being thrown around. As LuckyChucky said you can buy property here for those type of prices . I am on a lease 1426 acre . along with 4 other people that i just got this month . The problem in my area is leases are held for generations and picked up by family members when someone passes away.

13. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    And taste better.

elkaholic likes this.
  14. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I think a lot of KY guys are about to experience what we went through in GA a few years back.. We were happily leasing land for a few bucks an acre and even getting permission to hunt for free on many tracts.. Then one day we never saw it coming (or refused too) it seemed like lease prices double tripled even quadrupled in some areas. This was partly due to the great hunting in GA and fact it was starting to rack up some big deer and the out of state guys were flooding in. Just take a look at the various online lease sites and see what land is going for around the country, you just might be surprised, even here in lowly zone 4 there were several tracts of 300 to 400ac that leased for over $3k. It's happening right in front of you and many refuse to see it.. Go ahead and offer a land owner a few bucks an ac but I bet a group from FL , GA or the North east will offer way more.. Whats the answer? I don't know except maybe pony up a little more or quit hunting or maybe you could buy a little tract and hunt your own land. I know one thing it going to get worse..

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  15. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    Given what specified, I'd not want to pay a whole lot for it. Zone 4 has low deer density. However, they also have low reporting. That is, a lot of folks harvest and don't call it in. Given that and the road frontage and the fact that everyone and their uncle has previously hunted there, I'd call this a poaching paradise.

elkaholic likes this.