F&W $ aid in creating a wetlands

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by DEERMD, Jul 29, 2014.

1. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    Sorry for the double post, wasnt sure where to place this.

Recently was told by a friend that F&W would help plan and pay a wetlands project on your private farm if you are looking to dam up a spring or creek on your farm. We have a fairly large spring that begins in the middle of the farm and creates a small stream that runs in to a creek off of our farm, I was interested in damming this stream up to create a good size pond/small lake to better the habitat on our farm. Is there any truth to this? and how does this work? If it is true, what is the catch this sounds too good to be true!

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    No offense, by if my tax dollars or licensing fees go towards building your lake....I feel that I should be able to hunt and fish it.

3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    They do.I had [email protected] come down to my place 4 years ago and take a look.They wanted to do the job.Spent hours and hours od surveying and marking to do the project even had money to go to work.Came back the second year done more surveying and markings and was talking with all the land owners that the creek and all touched to start the work.We was all exited about it then found out later the money for the work was spent to buy the WMA in Scott county.4 years now no more word or talk about getting the job done.We land owners are still interested and would like to have it done.

4. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    Come on down ed

5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    They have money from a project called Kentucky partnership for wetland wildlife. Kpww will provide 50% cost share up to $5000 for creating wetlands. There are several stipulations. They won't make ponds or lakes. It is designed to make moist soil units. So you are looking at average water depth of less than 18". Also water level must be dropped during summer then brought back up during winter. Also hunting is limited to only 4 half days per week.

6. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    This money is from fish and wildlife du and other partnerships.

7. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    Well shucks... That's not really what I'm lookin for

8. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Yeah no money to build a pond or lake.

9. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    When it sounds too good to be true...

10. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Those govt programs are reimbursement deals. You fund the project, submit receipts and a percentage is reimbursed.

11. CKYoutdoors

CKYoutdoors 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah this is what you are talking about. However I don't think the half days part and the 5k are exactly accurate. I thought the money was more depending on the size, because I knew of a guy who did that and he got more than 5k. I also could just as easily be wrong and he may have gone through a different program, cause it was Wetlands Reserve Program. Sorry if that is a whole different program

12. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    WRP is a completely different program. It is a federal program through the farm bill that takes prior converted wetlands and restores them back to their natural state. There are different payment options but most take the big payout in which I think its around 90% fair market value of the land for an easement that it will never be reverted back to farmland. It goes on the deed and even if sold cant be reverted. there is also a 30 yr deal and the payment is like 75% of market value.

You can also do wetlands through CRP but are limited to 10 acres and that includes a buffer around the pool area. A certain percentage can be planted food plot within the pool area and you recieve 50% costshare on installing the practice and an annual rental rate on the land depending on soil type.

KPWW is the most flexible. the other two depend heavily on soil types sizes and other ranking features to get approved. Also WRP I believe you cant use herbicides for fighting any invasive plants so you are almost limited to water level to control undesirables which can be tough.

13. CKYoutdoors

CKYoutdoors 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2011
    Ahh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I know of a couple guys who did the WRP and it is a decent chunk of change but yeah you can't spray it yourself to kill anything. If they create the ponds and wetlands correctly then they tend to hold water well and ducks seem to like it. It is sort of a lengthy process like anything with the govt. I have not heard of KPWW may have to check into it.