Expectations for the season?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by msu_hunter, Aug 21, 2013.

1. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    So what's your guy's expectations for the Grouse numbers this year in Kentucky? I for one don't really know if all this rain has helped or hurt. It seems that the quick green up would have helped with predators but some of the cold rains we had in the spring couldn't have been good. (Fingers are crossed):)

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I expect there to be few, I won't see very many, and will kill far fewer than I see.

3. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    I see you have unbound optimism for the upcoming season trust me haha, I was beginning to think everyone had quit chasing the ghost around here.

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I always was a "glass half-full" kind of guy. Anybody that keeps a grouse dog in Kentucky is by definition an optimist. The pessimists all sold theirs.

5. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    That my friend is the truth if I have ever heard it!

6. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    Great quote, more like those who have are "insane", those who don't are "sane"

7. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    I'm still working dogs just in case one wanders through this area.

8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I use to hear grouse drumming all the time when I was hunting but I really can't remember the last time I heard that sound. I'll guess that I haven't jumped one in the past five years, at least.

9. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Mine died of old age and I didn't think it was worth the time and effort to train another pup. More power to you guys that are hanging with it but tromping through the mountains all day to probably come home empty handed just got old for me. I have a huge valley over here where I live and permission to hunt everybodies place on the holler. Only problem is theres an old fire trail road that runs for miles all the way around the main holler. Some of the guys over here figured out the birds weren't that scared of a 4-wheeler and started killing them with .22's. Used to be pretty thick but up untill this spring I hadn't seen one over this way in a couple years. I did see a momma and 6-8 babies a while back just about 1/4 mile from my house. There may be hope yet.

However I do have a gate key that lets me into some property in an adjoining county where I've seen several grouse this summer. May be the same bird jogging up and down the lease road but I've seen a grouse in a couple different spots over 4-5 miles of road while driving around checking wells. If I only had a dog :confused:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  10. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I've got dog. You got birds. Sounds like a win win.

11. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Dunn's got dogs, twice a day. Once when he let's them out of the truck, and again when he finds them and puts them up.

12. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Jon, I'm not sure if I have birds...I definatley have bird. I'm not sure if its a small population or the same bird but seems like every time I drive up this one particular holler a grouse will step out in the road in front of me. I usually have to stop and either honk the horn or pop my door open to get it to fly off. Not scared of a vehicle at all. My rig and the old guy that checks the wells every day are the only ones that have a key to the gate so it doesn't get hunted. I guess thats whats kept the bird(s) in that place alive.

13. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I shot my mouth off too soon. I was out til dark last night trying to find a silly little 2 yr old dingbat that thought she knew more than she actually did. She was a happy little puppy when I found her and took her home.