Expanded Crossbow

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ataulbe1, Jun 4, 2019.

1. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    People would also be surprised at the size of FL deer especially in the panhandle region..

2. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Atlatls

3. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Sure..and a big rock.

4. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

The only real advantage I see with an xbow is in not having to draw it at the moment of the shot. Minimal movement is an extreme advantage, especially if turkeys are your target. I have no doubt that modern xbows are accurate to 100yds plus. The thing most don't think about is at 400fps, a live target could move a considerable distance from the time you shoot until the bolt arrives.

PUBLIC RAT and beauhunter41031 like this.
  5. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Gonna be a lot of people jump on the band wagon and get a new toy before Sept. I see it as a plus gonna have more people in the woods, more deer killed in Sept than ever, alot of deer killed before breeding season,. Does that make your deer population decline? The odds of you killing a freak is good in Sept vs Nov rut they still are on a routine, throw some corn out and wait on him.

6. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Ok just throwing this out there. The 2 week delay may be because of summer deer patterns and ag fields. Probably giving the board to much credit but the woods in September are still extremely thick taking away some of the advantages of a cross bow.(distance) On the other hand opening day deer in ag fields make tempting 100 yard shot opportunities. Many hunters can shoot 1" groups with their rifles from a bench at 100 yards but a lot of gut shot deer waste away in the woods every year. 100 yards with a cross bow though it can be done the question is should you?

On another note. The more the better. I am not an elitist but having some stumbling bumbling chili eating rifle converted cross bow hunter on the neighboring property dragging his butt into his ladder stand at first light might be just the thing that diverts Mr. Big in my direction prior to bedding. Just saying.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    As far as noticeable Hunter numbers in the woods at different times, I highly doubt we’ll even see a difference. I wouldn’t even consider this a “major change”. Like I said, having access to one the 3 weeks from early ML to modern gun is the only significant change I see. I do believe you’ll have a few more in the woods with xbow in hand during that time. Still doesn’t change the limits.

Genesis 27:3 and beauhunter41031 like this.
  8. hunt

hunt 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    A good crossbow and a cornpile at 100yds........

9. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
  10. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Gonna be some big dollars , made on all them new high dollar ,hundred yard crossbow shooters.

11. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Yeah I will wait and buy mine off Craigslist or facebook yardsale. Lol half the price

hotdog, hunt and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  12. revwilder

revwilder Spike

Aug 6, 2011
    Mt Vernon
    Yes, I'm an elitist...I wish Xbows only had a 1 month long season. Yes, I believe they are different from my compound or my recurve.

I lived for a short time in TN and talked to a couple of archery shop owners who had to close, because guys were buying more and more Xbows, and fewer people were buying compounds. They weren't making any money on the sales of the Xbows, and there was very little maintenance on them. TN is full season for Xbows.

While some will say, sales of Xbows will shoot up, YES, that's correct. More people will be in the woods, Yes, that's correct. I'm for more participation, and for sales, but the long term impact is that when one thing changes something else does too.

My personal opinion is a solution that would help all weapons, I think I will start lobbying for an extended Muzzleloader Season, or moving Modern Gun to December, like in Iowa...

Oh well...I'm done. It won't change back unless we have a tragedy of deer being decimated. Everyone enjoy upcoming deer season.

13. dabassking

dabassking 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    I’m ok with the changes, but I don’t plan to ever hunt with a crossbow unless I get injured or too old to pull a bow back. In my opinion, the tougher it is to be successful with a weapon, the longer the season should be. Regular bow season should be longer than x-bow, and I also wouldn’t mind if they opened up more primitive weapons like recurves or long bows (with no sights) even earlier than regular archery. Heck, I don’t care if spear hunting was legal year round as long as they had to abide by the current yearly bag limits.

14. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Well if wera gona speak on rage broadheads inefficiency to take game, we need to start another thread.

Man, you gotta love the off season

Nock likes this.
  15. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    You would shoot at a deer with a xbow at 100 yards???? If true, you are the type of hunter I don't want to be associated with.