Ever Have One

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Grago, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Ever have one, you wish you hadnt shot. So is the case of the one in this pic, Its late, im hurting and cant sleep, so being that time of year, where deer hunting is on the brain, i was laying here thinking about years in the past. As usually, as a general rule, when you kill a buck, you are proud and happy, Not the case on this one. There was a time, i would have walked 40 miles for a chance at a buck like this. But that would have been a long time ago. When i started hunting in 1966, deer were scarce, if you saw a track, you would tell everybody, you knew. And if you saw a rub, it was almost worthy, of taking a pic and sending it, to the news paper. But there was some big deer, CW killed Big Red, in 64 about 7 miles from the house here. Which by the way he is doing pretty good, i talk to him a couple times , a week, usually about what drs had said about us that week. But deer hunting usually comes in the conversation , somewhere. My dad killed a big 9 point, field dressed, 260, and Troy Harris, killed a buck im thinking in 66 went in B&C in the low 170's He has gone on, his house is less than a mile from me. He has gone on, but his wife still lives there, and the mount is there. But anyway, im proud for any deer, anyone kills, and is excited and happy about it. I have killed everything, from a spike, to a B & C and was happy to get them. But times have changed, the good old days of deer hunting, are right now, or at least here anyway they are. I let 15 bucks go last year, before shooting a old buck, like me going down hill, But back to this buck, we have a lot of little bucks, several like this one, that needed to live, and a very few big bucks. Where i hunt is a growed up field , with fairly tall grass, but you can see a deer in it, . Here sometimes, actually a lot of the time, if you see a buck, you may never see him again, so if you think , you want him, you better shoot. I saw a limb shaking, on the edge of the field, about 200 yards, which is as far as i can see, its the end of the field. Anyway looking thru binos he was going crazy, thrashing his rack, over a licking branch. I thought he might be a shooter, couldnt really tell, anyway he comes out in a fast trot, broad side going across the end of the field. So i had about 3 or 4 seconds to do whatever, well you can see what i done, he looked pretty good in a fast trot going across there. But when i got to him, i knew i had screwed up. He was a very young deer. If one ever needed to live it was him. But after all these years and all these deers, heart was still pumping and excited as heck, when he came trotting out there. I swear i only think he was 2 1/2. A lot of people say from the rack, he was 3, but i dont think so. Just had good blood in him. But this is one if i could have breathed life back in i would have. Even tho i got the excitment, and the rush for a moment, which is what its all about for the most part. Still know what he could have turned into.

Attached Files:

2. PHILIPRILEY16

PHILIPRILEY16 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    I feel like every deer i shoot is a blessing and never wish I hadn’t shot it but that’s me I try to shoot what I consider mature deer but I am blessed for everyone I have the opportunity to harvest

3. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Grago, I used to be the same way. I can't count the number of deer I've killed where I said "man, I thought he was bigger". In the end, if you let it get to you, it can ruin the experience. I try to hold out for mature deer, but I don't hunt specific deer. If it gets me excited and I release an arrow, I have no regrets.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Yep. Been there done that Grago.

Junglekat and Grago like this.
  5. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I know where you are coming from but let it go and move on! If that deer fed your family, then you did a good job! Have fun and make memories!

6. bah1286

bah1286 8 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    Dropped a very heavy, tall racked 9 point at almost 300 yards several years back. He finally stepped out of some thicker stuff about 10 minutes before it would have been to dark for me to take the shot. I knew the deer was old because I had watched him several times that summer. Unfortunately, when I got to the deer, he was a tall racked 8 point. Not that heavy and I figured he was probably 2. He was a beautiful deer but he would have been huge if given a couple more years and the deer I was after was killed the next day a couple hundred yards away. He was bigger on the ground than I thought he was going to be and my dad displays him proudly. Deer I killed probably ate better and I am always as happy to see my dad or kids get a nice deer than I am to take one myself.

jblack1 and rockhousehunter like this.
  7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Never have regret when it comes to killing deer. I've killed all age classes from a tender fawn to older bucks. Don't chase horns but typically hold out for a deer that gets me excited (doesn't take much). Only regret i have ever had killing a deer was when i was a teenager. Killed a buck in early ML one year then during rifle season trying to get more freezer meat seen the largest buck I have ever seen in the woods chasing two does. I regretted killing that deer for that reason but not because I wasn't happy with him.

xbokilla and rockhousehunter like this.
  8. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    First buck I shot was a spike running with a few does and another couple small bucks. I shot the spike thinking it was the basket rack 10 he was with. Looking back, I’m glad that 10 got another year because he had great potential even though I don’t know if I had him on camera again or not.

9. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    The 11 I shot I should have let walk. It's the deer that hammered home the "shoot the mature buck" management. I was focused already in doing that but this deer and this pic got me out of my game and him killed. He was just a 3 yr old but I let myself get enamored in him and his antlers. . Still a great buck and being able to kill your target buck is a good feeling. But I was mad at myself, he could have been a total hammer in a year or two. It happens, I have a 3yr old 8 I've seen 3 hunts in a row in 2 diff stands. I will not shoot him, but he is a good young deer.

PICT1417.JPG

Grago likes this.
  10. I have messed up and killed deer,I thought was bigger.Yes I regret some kills.It is what it is.If your a meat hunter,I guess regrets would be fewer.What I kill I eat.The meat is a bonus for me.

Grago likes this.
  11. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    I regret last years doe.

DaveO likes this.
  12. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Well, i have never considered myself a trophy hunter, still dont Lord knows i have killed some spikes, you could have put their horns in your pocket, and was glad to get them. Im definately not a meat hunter, i know i havent killed a doe in over 25 years, do i have anything against killing does absolutely not. A lot more of them need killing around here, . I am tickled for anyone, that kills anything they want. The late great (Ben Lee ) some older guys might remember, him, a lot of guys never heard of him, was the longest winded greatest story teller i ever been around told me God put spots on fawns, for targets to hold on because they were so small. So with all that being said, hunting is what it means to the person doing it, dosent matter what anybody else says, I love seeing pics of these kids , or anybody for that matter that has a big smile, with whatever they got. One of my most memorable hunts was about a 4 point, with a bow, i guess late 70"s somewhere in there anyway. Was using a Baker mighty mite climbing stand God bless anyone that used one of them that lived to tell about it. It was a little longer and wider than my shoes , i dont remember what year they came out or what year i killed this 4 point, just know i was in that stand, i was going back in about a mile, then going up on top a long high hill, i had found a rub there so , it meant a buck around, i saw him twice, but couldnt get where i could get close enough to shoot him. Finally did, i could hit or hit very close to a cigarette butt, pretty much every shot with a bow, he came out beside a small cedar that i had stepped off to be 20 yards, Should have been a perfect scenario , but it was raining and i had on a rain coat, so bow string hits, the coat on my arm, hit him in the hip , he went about 40 yards fell over dead as a door nail. That little deal, will always be in my mind , how proud i was to get him. So some of the best memories, are not always about big bucks. I post stuff on here a lot about years ago. At my age and health, i have done way more in the past than i will in the future. I never mean to post anything , to be bragging about it. I will never say anything bad about someone elses kills. If you want it and get it, im tickled for you, whatever it is. This buck, that i posted about, is just another deer, do i wish i hadnt shot him yes, but not something that bothers me that much, i know he would have been a giant, but he also could have walked over and the next farm and got killed anyway. I got a rush trying to kill him, in the end thats what its about for me for the most part. So i say kill what you want to, be glad you got it, if its what you want, and post a pic of it , so i can congratulate you.

13. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Been a couple I regret not killing.

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Only ones I’ve ever had a regret on was a few poor shots or deer I didn’t find. Last buck I shot was a young 10pt in 2013. Found him 12 days later thanks to the buzzards. Bothered me. I don’t like to kill what I can’t eat. Maybe as far as big bucks, I’ll be more selective when I retire. Right now, if it excites me enough to shoot, it’s getting shot. Phooey on size and age.

jblack1 and Grago like this.
  15. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Thanks for the nice write ups.
    That's a good Buck, good job.

Grago likes this.