Ethical verses Legal/Illegal

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by mmayes, Jan 15, 2015.

1. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    First two green heads I ever killed I was about 10 I guess. Snuck up on them asleep on a log on the Ohio river. Killed em both with one shot! I'd do it again at 35 years old if I had the chance[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    I shoot hens on the water and stick arrows in deer over corn and I'm good at it.

3. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I must have missed alot of posts. What happened to get several banned?

4. Lost_in_the_woods

Lost_in_the_woods 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2008
    graves county
    Not sure why so many seem to think that shooting them on the water is unethical. I have skillet shot a good number of them. Sure shooting them flying is fun but like said if I am able to get them in that close then they should get shot. I do the same with deer and turkey. Most deer I have shot were within 20 yrds. First time I shot a turkey I had it in at 15 ft.

5. KyMike

KyMike Spike

Aug 21, 2013
    River bottom corn fields can flood naturally but the water goes down relatively quickly. That food source would only be available for a couple days a season if at all. The water in flooded corn is maintained and manipulated all season to keep food available. Big difference.

6. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I noticed that too......must have been a different thread.

7. grnhd

grnhd 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2009
    suwanee,ky
    That's not what he said...he said SNEAKING up and water swatting. I agree with you, if a duck comes in and feaking lands, I fooled it completely and I usually let the kids swat it. But sneaking up on ducks and swatting them....not cool.

8. OUTBACK

OUTBACK 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2005
    W. KY
    Several got banned?!

Writing v/s typing.
    Texting v/s talking.
    Walking v/s running.

Man to each his own and do it how you wanna do it.
    What we def. don't need to do is turn on each other when there is always and enemy sniper trying to take us out.

9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    It was comical. From a generic insult, things spiraled down hill and had one member daring another to meet him face to face. Keyboard tough guys and guys who think they are tough, were back'n'forth. Hilarious!! Real life cartoons.

10. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Here's one for you. Guy or guys walk in to the river bank. No dog or boat. They have waders on to deal with decoys and to maybe get a duck that might fall in shallow enough water. I hunt the Ohio a lot and the majority of the birds will not be where you can wade to get them. I've never looked into it but is this legal or ethical to hunt in a location where the majority if not all will fall out of walking range with no dog or boat. Some will say fishing rod but I have yet to see anybody with a fishing rod. Also how long are they going to walk down the bank as the current carries the duck trying to make a snag. Just something that's always bothered me.

11. wildman6

wildman6 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2008
    on the lake
    My biggest issue is with lead, I can shoot doves, turkey, upland with lead in the same field I waterfowl hunt in. God forbid I have lead when I shoot a duck. They check them with a magnet because apparently lead is not magnetic snd steel is, whose to say I haven't mixed the shot? Maybe I have both lead and steel in (I don't.) Then decoy weights, I know of several people whom pour their own weights out of lead, then they will leave them in their flooded fields and levees. How is me shooting lead any different than Johnny two thumbs leaving his lead decoy weights in water when they both create a supposed lead poisoned environment?

12. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Ive thought the same thing. If most likely your birds are unrecoverable why hunt there?

13. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    Because ducks and geese ingest your lead shot and get lead poisoning if they ingest enough. I doubt many ducks are man enough to try and take on a 6" strap weight. Lol Seriously places like Catahoula lake in Louisiana, where you have hundreds of blinds in a relatively shallow area or Reelfoot, thousands of birds were dying before the lead ban. Today's steel shot is so much better than the crap they first come out with. If you were to go back to lead now you would probably have to adjust your shooting. Not to mention the environment and poisoning ducks and geese.

14. wildman6

wildman6 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2008
    on the lake
    Then why can I hunt doves in the same field I hunt ducks and geese in and use lead? That is what I am getting at.

15. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    unfortunately the move to ban lead on doves (i.e., force use of steel) is on the horizon nationwide...