Ethical verses Legal/Illegal

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by mmayes, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Examples:

Hey Bubba, sorry you forgot that One (1) steel shotshell in your hunting vest out bunny hunting. Here is your ticket...

Hey Bubba, sorry you did not realize your 5 yards inside the high water mark on the OH side when you shot that ute, even though we have no truly defined MARKED boundries for you. Here is your ticket.

Hey Bubba, sorry your watch was 2 minutes off time when you shot that crow. Here is your ticket.

Hey Bubba, sorry y'all did not leave One (1) leg attached to your rabbits to see what they were during transport. Here is your ticket.

Hey Bubba, sorry y'all did not keep your crows in separate piles/marked tagged in your boat. Here is your ticket.

Hey Bubba, sorry your motor was running/engaged and I figure you were runnin down them doves under power. Here is your ticket.

Hey Bubba, sorry but if you would have went another 100 yards to find that cripple dove even though the water was up to the tops of your waders it would not have been wanton waste. Here is your ticket.

Hey Bubba, sorry you were bored and exposed grain kernels to wildlife playing around even though your standing in a flooded cornfield. Here is your ticket. AND by the way do not worry about that guy over in the next field pouring out a 1,000#'s of corn at his deer feeder....

Not anti law or sensible rules and regs by a long shot.

And after decades in the field I would like to add most EXPERIENCED Game LEO's I have ever encountered are top shelf and understand the complexities of this game we play, and understand most of us break our arse's to comply to the best of our abilities.

After 45 years or so in the woods, streams, marshes and rivers hunting ducks in multiple states I get that reasonable and prudent regs are a requirement.

BUT to add any more to even the most minutia of levels seems like overkill to a sport we are trying to attract youngins to and not drive them away with their eyes glazed over...

Ethics and legal are a fine line I guess.

But the poachers are going to poach no matter what.

The good guys will not engage the shot they think is sketchy no matter what.

The guys in between have their own mugs to look at in the mirror if they cross that line.....

Heading out in the am to try and bang a few.

Hope y'all have a safe and enjoyable weekend chasing em down!

2. Agreed.

BUT I hunt on levee'd purposely flooded fields by the guvment.

No natural flooding, no oopsies here.....

Pump houses on levee'd fields.

Kind a hard to deny that one.

And the gunning is GREAT!

But let me sow a bag or two on my river bottoms and here comes the fines....

3. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    If you don't know the difference between dumping out corn and growing it then you will never see my point. One CAN happen naturally one CANNOT. I believe our laws are just fine. Yes plenty are a bit nit picky but I think it has to be that way for those that like to stretch it in their favor. Most law enforcement will use reason with ya. And make the call in the field. Some are by the book. Just how it is. Had a great encounter with one last weekend in Glasgow. Great fella that we chatted with after he checked us all out. I honestly have never had a problem with any leo. If you have laws that don't draw a line in the sand how can you ever prosecute anyone for anything.

4. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    I have always tried to hunt ethical and legal. I will never understand all the fuss about baiting. Don't we always hunt over bait of some kind ? Squirrels are in trees after nuts, rabbits are in fields after clover etc. Where do you put your tree stand or ground blind for deer ? Under a oak tree where they are looking for acorns ? Just seems like we are always hunting over bait, some folks just see it differently I guess.

5. Naw, I can't tell a difference...

Thanks for your enlightenment.....

I said the guvment is purposely flooding levee'd corn fields up to the ears and saying that is not baiting with pump houses on the fields they bought and maintain.....

Guess the corn I would spread was not grown by someone????

So if you can afford (or are the guvment) to plant and flood a cornfield it's ok and not baiting?

But If you live on a river and put a couple bags out it's not ok and you are baiting?

Back to the same ole over regs we all deal with I reckon.

As I have previously mentioned, a limit is a limit.

You let me figure out how to succeed or fail.

6. EKYridgerunner

EKYridgerunner 10 pointer

Sep 13, 2010
    "Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is looking-even when doing the wrong thing is legal."

Aldo Leopold

7. ducknbuckhunter

ducknbuckhunter 10 pointer

Aug 3, 2005
    Owensboro/Murray
    Ethics is for church and the better business bureau. In the field it's about killing and putting food on the table. You kill an animal one way, and I do another; guess what? Animal still dead with same outcome. Put that in your pipe and smoke it all you "gentlemen".

8. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421378791.144748.jpg .....

9. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    Great answer and great quote !

10. ducknbuckhunter

ducknbuckhunter 10 pointer

Aug 3, 2005
    Owensboro/Murray
  11. oddfellow1976

oddfellow1976 6 pointer

Jul 26, 2012
    Skybusting! Legal and Unethical. While there is no doubt that a duck can be killed at 40-50 yards, I've seen more birds crippled and educated buy dumb arse kids AND their daddies shooting high just so the guys in the next field over won't get a chance at them. To me there is nothing sweeter than getting a duck as close as I possibly can before shooting. When they are landing (or trying to land, I usually don't let them land unless other are working in behind them) 10ft from the blind, that's winning!

12. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

Sneaking up and water-swatting ducks- legal, but unethical.

13. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    Only if they quit swimming

Mayes

14. I disagree.
    Water swatting them in the decoys is ethical and legal. If I did a good enough job to fool them into the spread the deserve to die in the spread. Just call me skillet. I didn't get the name feetdown, I mean Mr. Blonde skybusting.