Equipment Upgrade

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by LoneArrow, Aug 20, 2017.

1. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    Situation: All of your hunting gear is stolen. You have enough money to purchase all items below. 3 can be the latest greatest, while everything else has to be a bargain brand. In order, which three do you spend the extra money to upgrade?

A) Stand/Blind
    B) Bow
    C) Bow-Sight/Rest/Release/etc
    D) Binoculars
    E) Range Finder
    F) Arrow/Broadheads
    G) Boots
    H) Clothes
    I) Scent Control
    J) Trail Camera
    K) Map
    L) Other?

For me, I would say: B, I, C

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    A, B, G.

What more do you need?

xbokilla likes this.
  3. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
  4. Pointpuller

Pointpuller 8 pointer

Feb 15, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL.
    B,F,H in that order.

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    A-G- H .....in that order.

A = Not too keen on spotting & stalking whitetails with bow in Ky...lol. A stand or blind would be my #1 priority to get back in the game.
    G = Boots are an investment in my opinion .... they can make or break a hunt of any type. I'll pay extra to see Goretex on a tiny tag concerning hunting footwear.
    H = Clothes like boots ... you get what you pay for. Which staying dry, warm or simply comfortable will lead to hunting longer & more often giving you a better opportunity at success.

I have to admit my first thoughts were #1 would be bow & set-up. But the longer I thought about that ...the further down the list it got concerning spending the extra money on for the latest & greatest. Being its real easy to get caught up in the hype and thinking it needs to be the newest model bow branded Mathews, Hoyt, or maybe Bowtech . But the honest truth of the matter... we don't have to spend a grand or more on a bow & rigging it out. A $300 - $400 new or used bow set-up & tuned properly will kill just as many deer as a $1500 one... possibly more-so.

120+ and LoneArrow like this.
  6. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    I like your thought process. Youre making me think about my choices more.

7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I am right with the first two guys. A,B, and G.

8. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

A) Stand/Blind: Budget here and it could cost you your life
    B) Bow: Just as many deer have been killed with cheap bows as expensive
    C) Bow-Sight/Rest/Release/etc: Walmart outfits most of America with cheap stuff but their strategy is repeat business
    D) Binoculars: Not essential
    E) Range Finder: Becomes essential if you go cheap and the things above
    F) Arrow/Broadheads: Your owe it to the deer to choose a proven performer
    G) Boots: Sore and cold feet have been the dismise of way to many hunts
    H) Clothes: Cheap now, pay again later
    I) Scent Control: Wind is free
    J) Trail Camera: Over rated
    K) Map: Walking is free
    L) Other?:

For me I would list out essentials, spread the money accordingly, and acquire the remainder over time just like when starting out.

9. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    BCD for me. I spend very little on high dollar equipment other than my bow and bow accessories. I feel naked without my binos. I can see deer in thick cover I'd never be able to see otherwise. I can see them at distance at low light. I am sick if I leave them in the truck. I have a high dollar climbing stand but hate using it and rarely use it. Otherwise I use cheap ladder stands and very little on special camo. I use cameras in the hundred to hundred fifty range. I keep it pretty simple for the most part.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  10. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Normally I would choose...
    B. Can't hunt without.
    F. Can't shoot bow without.
    G. Mighty important.
    But I make my own bows, strings, quivers, cane arrows, knifes, and even some broadheads.... So the norm wouldn't be me! Lol
    I do also use storebought stuff. I just can't top those carbon arrows and broadheads!

LoneArrow likes this.
  11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I always want a good pair of binos, too. They are worth their weight in gold. I'd pick a quality pair of optics over everything else even a bow. You can kill deer with a lower priced bow. As far as boots, I get by with a pair of 18" Lacrosse rubber boots. Clothes can be bought on clearance. I would pony up the cash for merino base layers and likely will myself this year.

12. Monster01

Monster01 8 pointer

Dec 9, 2013
  13. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    Yeah thats not going to happen. lol

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
  15. Monster01

Monster01 8 pointer

Dec 9, 2013
    Is this for real ?? Man that would suck.
    In the real world saving money buying a 2 year old say bear anarchy vs buying a 2017 whatever flagship thats 1000 bucks . would give u enough money extra to buy all the other essentials. U could probally find one allrrady dressed with decent eqipment for 400 ish pick up a 120$ rangefinder some lacrosse alphalites and a leafy suit for 50$ at bass pro and be set. U could wear whatever under the leafysuit and be camo and comfortable all year.
    But i really hope this is hypothetical .