Elkhorn Smallies

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by SouthpawTruth, Aug 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I grew up fishing in the Elkhorn...specifically around Frankfort. The creek was considered public land. So unless they sneaked in a law change, I have no idea.

There was an old judge who had property adjoining the creek where we'd wade fish. He used to come out and yell at us to "get off his property". Every time we'd yell back, "KMA! You don't own the creek, A-hole!" Maybe the old jerk ruled a change of that.

2. bassmaster1

bassmaster1 6 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Danville ky.
    I raised fishing and wading Elkhorn, Don't get caught standing in it. You are trespassing. Go to Ky Afields and just watch some of the shows when they where on it and listen to it.

3. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I'd love to know the actual law on this. I've kayaked the Elkhorn in Franklin county several times and fished it for smallies in Scott county through my college years. Never had any issues with private land owners or really gave it much thought.

4. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    As I referenced earlier, I grew up wading the Elkhorn and fishing (the best fishing I've ever experienced). In fact, that's all I did on summer school breaks pretty much all the time. If I was not out catching soft crawls at 12 midnight in the creek for the next day, I was in it at 6AM fishing. If I was not out in it seining for gold-devils, I was fishing in it. Lures and artificials are pretty much a waste from my perspective. Live bait from the creek ensures quick and consistent action.

My "gang" and I would always go on a three day or longer canoe trip every summer. This was long before canoeing was popular--as we were the only one's on the creek for miles and miles. We'd just pull off on the banks around dusk and pitch camp. Not one of us ever thought we were on private property. It never seemed to occur to us. I don't recall it ever being a topic of conversation. Somehow, I guess we assumed we just melded and transcended back into time and we'd run into Daniel Boone or Shawnee (which we were prepared for--LOL).

All I ever heard was the creek was owned by the people. As long as you were in the creek, you were not on private property. However, this was a bit over 40 years ago.

5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I've heard both arguments in many different creeks. Land owners own the ground under the creek but not the water in it so floating is ok but wading isn't and I have heard as long as you are in the creek you are on public ground. Not 100% what the law states though.