Elk Trip Thread

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by KentuckyOutdoors, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Pollcat

Pollcat 8 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Add me to the list of hard working red blooded ky sportsmen who have put myself and my entire family in for the draw for many years that WILL NOT put in for the elk draw for many years to come. My wife drew a week one bull tag......hunted the entire week.......walked over 50 miles and never laid eyes on a single elk. We worked hard and prepared all summer for this hunt. We hired a reputable outfittrer who I believe did everything in his power to get us on a bull that didn't exist. I've never been so sickened in my life than to look at my wife on the last day of our hunt and say, "we did all we could, lets to home".

I'd like to see a set of stats that would indicate how many hunters never saw a single elk while hunting.

I'd like to know the total number of elk tags given out.

I'd like to see the breakdown of bulls killed by hunters who drew a tag vs. the number of bulls killed by hunters who bought a tag.

I don't believe I stand alone when I say that if the state gave me a bull tag next year, there is no way in hell I'd pay 3500-5000 to hunt with an outfitter for an animal that didn't exist. Also, I wouldn't try a do it yourself hunt on the small amount of land that actually has elk that the state allows access to. IMO, the state needs to get rid of the dang horses, improve the habitat, and stops writing checks that our elk herd can't cash. RMEF needs to get involved before they have to start sending us elk again.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well, sadly, the best chance a person has is to go with an outfitter, but I hear what you’re saying loud and clear. Like I said, I had a chance and blew it so I can’t complain, but the guides will say the numbers and quality are way down and they should know. Many also say they need to shut this thing down for a few years and if you’re willing to give up money for the cause then the state needs to take notice.

3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    What unit did you get, what county(s)

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    It sucks. Sorry you had to find out the hard way. I've been singing this song for 4-5 years now. It gets worse each year. If they don't do something drastic, there won't be many to hunt period.

5. Pollcat

Pollcat 8 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Unit 4. Breathitt Co.

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Did u hunt the strip job below rousseau? If so... Thats a tough place to get it done these days.