Elk Trip Thread

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by KentuckyOutdoors, Dec 8, 2019.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Oh, I totally agree! That’s what made it so tough when I missed the smaller bull this year. I’ve not been in those situations and instead of the guides being like, “Shake it off man and let’s get another one.” They were as crushed as me, maybe more, because they know those opportunities aren’t there like they used to be. My guide told me if it had been ten years ago he’d said, “Get in the wheeler and let’s get on another one.”

2. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    That’s how it was 10 yrs ago. Those days are gone now. Tough drawing a tag like you did and herd being down.

3. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Exactly spot on. Quality “big” bulls are far and few between now. Cows are too . It’s a shame to have a herd like Ky had and now it’s in this shape.

4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well heck 3 weeks of archery. A week in December and the best two weeks being in A 90 degree September drought made it tough on all the archers. The first week of archery there was only like 8 total elk killed. Crazy!

5. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Why is antler size down? Age, nutrition, genetics?

6. Nathan Depenbrock

Nathan Depenbrock Fawn

Dec 11, 2019
    Frankfort Kentucky
    This is such a good read/ conversation, and one that needs to continue to happen in the public arena. F and W needs to hear from those "on the ground" if we are gonna make any headway in saving this population.
    This is personal to me. Having applied for 10 plus years to hunt elk in my home state, where I got to see the elk for the first time 13 years ago during an anniversary horseback trip in Harlan. This year, I was finally drawn for a Cow Tag, Late Season! How excited I was, I cancelled plans to paddle the Rio Grande in Texas with friends over New Years, to instead tag a KY elk, an animal I have paid a fortune for and travelled west for many times!

I am a Frankfort (the swamp) resident. I own a business that partners with KDFWR on many projects. I feel I have a little pull, or at the least, a lot of contacts within the department. I am making a call this morning to cancel my hunting plans, in the name of conservation. This breaks my heart, but I think it needs to be done. After reading this thread, I feel it is imperative, as I too want my kids, two of the three were going g with me in two weeks to hunt the elk, to be able to hunt a good population of elk in KY.
    So doing this, cancelling my hunt and guaranteeing 3 more years of not getting drawn, I want to use that as possible leverage to talk with the department.
    So what I ask of this group. I have little knowledge of the true elk numbers and all the issues. We need people with that knowledge to step up and take the fight to KDFWR, which as said before, i have total respect and admiration for most work they do.
    So would any of you be interested in talking to those at the department who might listen, if I am able to get the meeting? We cant be just talk on a forum of we want change. Know that i am in no way an activist, or honestly, i have never been so impassionated to take a stand as i have over this. Bu I think we could have a real shot to effect some change in this. We have to start somewhere, and seems like a perfect time and place to start!

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Limited hunting time, limited animals.

8. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    Hopefully they will shut down cow season in the near future and let the herd replenish.

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    IMO, the outfitters would have the most info as they live it daily for several months of the year. Their voice should carry more weight vs someone that shows up in the mountains for a week or two.

bgkyarcher likes this.
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    T
    Yet the department doesn’t listen.

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    U hiding in a restroom stall checking the forum?

Southpaw and bgkyarcher like this.
  12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    My boss not here yet. No laptop nor phone yet. Killing time.

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I don’t know about all outfitters but LMO has met and discussed with KDFWR many times from what I’m told. I’m sure bgky can tell you more.

14. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Uncle D, @bgkyarcher , is working on the family discount first day on the job. He's always been my favorite uncle. Benelli Ethos 20 gauge would look good under the tree next week. Hint hint Uncle D.

15. KentuckyOutdoors

KentuckyOutdoors Spike

Nov 19, 2019
    Christian County
    I would love to attend, and to speak if needed. I completely agree with you, something needs to be done. It is very admirable of you to cancel your plans, I would be honored to help.