Elk movement

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by jperkins, Oct 21, 2015.

1. jperkins

jperkins Fawn

Aug 22, 2012
    owenton ky
    Headed down tomorrow to hazard try and get my fiance a shot at filling her cow tag. Was wondering if anyone had been seeing much movement. Even if we don't a weekend away in the mountains will be great as usual figured there prolly still running wild from gun season but we still going to give it a try. Any info will be appreciated

2. Buck snort

Buck snort 6 pointer

May 18, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    They were moving good last weekend in Martin county. Even with the end of bull gun and the start of deer muzzleloader, I saw numerous elk. The bulls aren't bugling much anymore. Good luck!

3. jperkins

jperkins Fawn

Aug 22, 2012
    owenton ky
    Thanks for the info hopefully we can find some and be able to get her in range for a shot

4. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    I am hearing some good reports as well on the elk moving good, including cows. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

The only negative I'm hearing are some reports of some outfitters blocking roads and hunters off bulls during the gun season and also during archery hunts, including public land........:mad:

5. jperkins

jperkins Fawn

Aug 22, 2012
    owenton ky
    Thanks hopefully we don't run into anyone blocking the roads someone might not like the outcome we jus want to hunt and have a good time but we will keep everyone posted on how the rest of the week turns out

6. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Killed my cow on October 30, 2013 in Knott county. Saw lots of Elk, hope you can get on some and sneak in close enough for a shot.

7. MAKEemQUIVER

MAKEemQUIVER 10 pointer

Mar 19, 2009
    Had an outfitter really mess me over one morning of my archery hunt, he was protecting this bull for a hunter coming in later in the week come to find out.

8. Rutman

Rutman Fawn

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastwood, KY
    Yesterday I went to Paul van booven Wma and was not to impressed. Seen one Bulls back side and no cows. Found a few tracks. I covered just under 15 miles. I'm in the hazard Lea.

9. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    It is getting way out of hand.......

10. kyfarmer1

kyfarmer1 Fawn

Oct 4, 2015
    washington co. ky.
    I was up last Thursday on the hazard lea and when you left the main drag you would see a lot of small orange 3"?6" cards on little wooden stacks 2 ft. High right beside the brown markers obviously on the government ground saying No Trespassing violators will be prosecuted. I was not hunting I was only looking around for my hunt in January for a cow saw no elk. One road had a rope pulled across it with a stake and orange card right in the middle of the road it had been cut and someone went on past it. If I had been hunting I would have ignored the signs. One brown sign had been bent over and rocks laid on top of it. I was in the mind made paradise end. I wonder if the guide services is in cahoots with fish and wildlife. I'm going to try to talk to fish and wildlife about the problem. Most hunters would just turn around and go back somewhere else but that's not being fair to the hunters trying to do this hunt on their own.

11. jperkins

jperkins Fawn

Aug 22, 2012
    owenton ky
    Hunted blue diamond voucher area and some private land in Knott co seen tons of elk jus couldn't close the deal this trip never had no issues with anyone. Can't wait to get back down we learned alot and will be ready next time