Elk Lottery

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by KyElk13, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Im torn on putting in. I'd love to have a freezer of elk and or shot at a monster bull don't get me wrong but the places and ppl I knew that could get me on one have dwindled away the last few yrs.

KYBOY likes this.
  2. ManofManyStangs

ManofManyStangs 6 pointer

May 4, 2009
    I haven't seen a monster in a few years, but they are some 300" bulls out there.

3. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I use to have all kinds of places to hunt. Had i got drawn say 3-4 years ago id been in great shape. Now I’d have serious doubts

4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Getting harder and harder.

KYBOY likes this.
  5. ManofManyStangs

ManofManyStangs 6 pointer

May 4, 2009
    Expand your network!!!!!! You can't have enough friends.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  6. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    It is but I completely expected that. Again I’m not mad or bitter in the least. It’s just the way..

RLWEBB likes this.
  7. Big D

Big D Fawn

Nov 19, 2016
    It's like a lot of other things today, big money is in play! Lots of outfitters at the winter hunting shows advertising "guarantee draw", 100% opportunity, private ground hunting, etc. Many are out if state outfitters! I get that it takes money to sustain the herd, manage, etc but dang, shouldn't these big money guys get only "leftover" tags? These events where bidding wars go on for hunts, etc, ruin the deal for draw hunts. I get landowners being offered piles of cash, hard to turn it down. Just seems an unfair advantage.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Guaranteed draw where? Not Ky. Leftover tags, not Ky. You can purchase landowner or commissioner/governors (whatever they're called in Ky) tag.

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I broke down and put in for archery and bull rifle.....

10. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Haven't put in for yrs, my knees had gotten so bad I was wasting my time!
    I've hunted out west a couple of times but I can't be away from home that long anymore since my wife's accident.
    I may put in this yr again but it will be rifle bull only or muzzleloader.

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    This was always my system and before either sex archery, I’d do bull rifle and cow archery. Never paid for more than those two and been drawn twice for archery.

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    When is the make believe deadline for entry?

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    April 30, and it is a firm deadline at midnight....

14. tnbrownfish

tnbrownfish Fawn

Apr 3, 2017
    East TN
    I went to Colorado in 2018 I used up 14 Elk points for a cow tag and then bought a over the counter bull tag and the friend I went with said I should get at least a cow and I had a good chance to get a bull too and I also got a mule deer tag ( 7 points on it). Ended up having elk tag soup I saw one bull about 1 1/2 mile away on private land. Never saw one elk but I did get a 4X4 mule deer with a AT&T shot (right at 400 yds). One thing else to rememberer is it is a LONG Way out there and the gas WILL BE from 75 cents to $1 more than you pay here. If you have a tent that you can use a wood stove in Take It and also take a pistol (44mag or 10mm) with you and WEAR IT Even Around Camp. We say a Cougar 250 yds from camp so just remember YOU ARE NOT AT THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN OUT THERE!

15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I appreciate your response. I totally get where you are coming from. I elected to fore go the trip as a result of a deal I made with my bride. Cost was not a limiting factor. It was a guided hunt with a phenomenal success rate from previous clients that I would have been attending with. I simply chose not to go....but I’m pretty sure I would have been on elk and I can’t say the same if I had booked a comparable outfitter in ky.