Elk hunt question

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by dpowers, Apr 3, 2013.

1. dpowers

dpowers 6 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    Shelbyville
    OK its time to purchase your chance at an elk tag. You are lucky enough to get drawn. What then? Is it public ground you hunt? Do you have to use a guide? You purchase an elk tag what are the extra fee's involved?

Thanks
    Dave

2. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    There is public ground, and you can contact a guide but not necessary or required. The only extra fees are perhaps a trespass fee to access private lands or to pay assistance to someone to help get one out.

If you are in central or western KY, a guide will pay for himself in gas/motel savings if you plan to scout...

With or without, it can be the hunt of a lifetime..

3. I agree with the Guide. When I draw a Bull Tag, I WILL PAY FOR A GUIDE! :)

4. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    When (if) I draw a tag.....I will sit on my parents back porch, or would that be considered cheating? Haha.

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Good luck. Regardless of whether you draw cow or bull, do yourself a favor and get a guide. Unless you are close and have access to private land, it is very tough. People talk about how they are running around like rabbits, but look at the number of tags that went unfilled this year. Just ask some of the guys on here that blanked. Don't waste the opportunity by trying to go on the cheap. BTW, it is awesome!!! My 9 days spent with Lost Mountain Outfitters was the most enjoyable week of hunting I have ever experienced. Good luck in the lottery.

6. yep..........and I blanked..................:(

7. dpowers

dpowers 6 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Checked the mail today. There were 2 letters on a food drive the other was a crumpled letter from fish and wildlife. I didn't realize the drawing had happened. Cow elk end of December.