Elk Draw is open

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
Salyersville, Ky
Don't be discouraged I was drawn the 1st year I put in My son was drawn first year he put in. My Dad Ive put in multiple years never drawn I'd rather see him get drawn than me.
So you want to punish your dad? lol I've put in every year since the beginning and nothing. My dad killed a bull a few years ago. With that said, I hate how the department has handled the elk and there aren't any elk unless you pay large money to an outfitter and maybe not then either. The elk in eastern Ky are gone. NEVER AGAIN. I've finally learned my lesson.

ManofManyStangs

8 pointer
May 4, 2009
So you want to punish your dad? lol I've put in every year since the beginning and nothing. My dad killed a bull a few years ago. With that said, I hate how the department has handled the elk and there aren't any elk unless you pay large money to an outfitter and maybe not then either. The elk in eastern Ky are gone. NEVER AGAIN. I've finally learned my lesson.

Elk are here just harder to find, number are down though. No more hunting in a zoo like it was when I was drawn. You have to have a bunch of scouting or better know someone that will tell you where they are at.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
Salyersville, Ky
Elk are here just harder to find, number are down though. No more hunting in a zoo like it was when I was drawn. You have to have a bunch of scouting or better know someone that will tell you where they are at.
Yeah numbers are waaaay down. We scouted over a month before the last hunt for many days and didn't lay eyes on one. The department has sold way to many off to other states. If you're lucky enough to have someone tell you where they are, you also have to be able to hunt them there. I hope you guys get drawn and kill a record but as for all of us, never again.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Elk numbers are MAYBE 35% of the 10,000 that the department likes to throw around. I'll put in of course.

ManofManyStangs

8 pointer
May 4, 2009
Elk numbers are MAYBE 35% of the 10,000 that the department likes to throw around. I'll put in of course.

Not possible to be at 10,000. Back when they first claimed this number I use to see herds of 50-70 elk. They have over harvested cows, I also know of a fellow that had a bunch on his property and would let ppl hunt them there, he has video of them capturing and re-locating them. I figure they went to WV, but don't know that for sure.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Not possible to be at 10,000. Back when they first claimed this number I use to see herds of 50-70 elk. They have over harvested cows, I also know of a fellow that had a bunch on his property and would let ppl hunt them there, he has video of them capturing and re-locating them. I figure they went to WV, but don't know that for sure.
If there are 10k now, there were 30k in 2009.

Latest posts