elk a great thing in Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Realtree man, Nov 26, 2007.

1. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    On this board I am the exception as far as being "pro elk", in general around here (the general public) I am the norm. Where exactly are you from maxcam? I raise my own garden (2 1/2 acres) I eat my own produce as well as venison I harvest but I got to go to the grocery store just like anybody else. You make it sound like everyone in eastern Ky lives in log cabins with dirt floors barefoot and we can't afford to feed ourselves because the elk are eating all of our precious lettuce patches, not so. You spout ignorance everytime you open your mouth.

2. headoftheholler

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    No one here has said that we are having an economic boon from elk, however most people, with the exception of a few wannabe elk poachers here, believe that with the right development elk could provide and will generate income for the counties with elk in the future, not saying our economy will be "elk based", that's impossible but again as stated again some income is better than none. Pete, sorry about the truck but millions of people have had thier vehicles destroyed from deer, elk cross roads (as do deer) it's part of life.

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    What do you want to bet this is directly related to this thread?

4. headoftheholler

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Persons experiencing issues with nuisance elk may call Kentucky Fish and Wildlife at 1-800-858-1549 for assistance or whine and complain on the elk thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  5. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  6. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    Sorry about the accident Big Pete. At least he's not hurt.

barney, you're assumtion is correct. A few trolls lurking for sure.

Headoftheholler,

Why didn't they do something for the guy that killed the four elk on his cemetary? He called them. Several times. Posting it big doesn't make it work any better.

I've asked for advice, several times on here now, anybody got any, or do you just like to whine and complain?

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    BAD DAY AT WORK??

8. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    If I offended anyone with my assessment of the importance of transportation and a garden for folks then I appologize. It was certainly not my intent to generalize the economic status of anyone regardless of their geographic location. I was simply trying to point out that if you have a real need then you should be able to defend that need with whatever force is required in order to protect what you have worked hard to produce. Again I apologize to anyone that felt as though I was trying to offend them.....

9. headoftheholler

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    We have had luck last year with electric fence and this:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...-E4DF-DC11-AA92-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

I would say 60 - 70 percent less problems from deer and elk.

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    CM... I dont think anyone knows the answer. I've said in many post on this subject ...someone will make a dollar. Could be those that dont need it anyway.. thats the way it usually works. I also hope you realize all of us "flatlanders" dont live & work in prosperous locations. Down my way industry is nill without traveling a distance... fast food & retail along with agriculture is our biggest employers. My county does'nt have an interstate or parkway running through it ... no coal to have mining operations nor even labor unions to entice decent wages at what industry we do have. We've basically have water... lots of it ..in any direction you turn. Like y'alls mountains ..we attract some tourisim but its not going to impact everyone where it counts.

If I were ya'll ... I've yet to see a time where the "squeeky wheel did'nt get the grease". That said... a thread on this site aint going to fix any problems. Several on this thread are from Knott and seems to be where most of the complaints arise. I'd get together and contact KDF&WR and ask to adress the commission at the next comission meeting. Ya'll need to go in a group and more than one of you need to speak on behalf of your concerns. It will mean travel ...taking off from work...whatever but if your seriously wanting to make things better...its part of the process.

Its better to take action than complain about it. You might be surprised or disappointed but I believe you will get a lot of your questions answered. At least you will leave knowing you tried.

Just a suggestion.

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That is exactly the way I feel.......any other way is communisim......is it not?
    No offence taken here, I figure I could personally have, or live anyway, or anywhere I want, and that is my choice! I choose to live in sight of these mountains, and grow my family here, teaching them some of the old ways, along with the modern.
    People can stereotype me anytime they want, but I know what I am doing, most can't say that. I just smile, when I sit down to a gourmet meal, and know that it didn't cost me but a little sweat.....lol

12. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    YES SIR WE HAVE!!! We had already planned to go ahead and get a bigger truck any way just to haul all the money the elk are generating for us!!:) The revenue the elk will generate WILL NEVER offset the damge they are inflicting to "some" landowners.

Pretty impressive the amount of damage that elk did!! Funny thing is, my driver said "no wonder they don't want these things in Virgina"

This thread started out as VERY informative and the problems with elk and possible cures for these problems. It as now turned into a total joke with some of the comments from "flatlanders" with NO IDEA as to what the elk problem really is, However I guess if you are from Vine Grove and Jefferson County, you have all the right answers for us Hillbillys!!

Still really did not get a good answer to my questions?

Is it not legal to take a elk when they are out of the Elk Restoration zone?

Why is that?

Why are they not wanted in other parts of the state?

Why were they not introduced into central and western KY?

Why does VA basically have a open season on them?

Should these parts of the state not have the same chance as us "mountain folk" to profit from them?

I'm sure that Multidigits or DAKING will let me know the answers!!!! However I can tell you the answer!!! NO BODY ELSE WANTED THEM!!!!!, TOO MUCH POSSIBILTY IN PROPERTY DAMAGE!!!!

13. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    sounds good

14. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    your name is head of the holler right?

15. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    Doug, if the KDFWR was passing out chocolate ice cream and fifty dollar bills, you'd find a beef with it. You have drunk deeply from the Strader/Tony Brown/JR kool-aid vat.