elk a great thing in Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Realtree man, Nov 26, 2007.

1. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    I read an article in Ky. afield mag., don't know what its titled as the mag. is currently at my mother-in-laws, but in it the dep. gave their stance on the issue of land being leased for hunting. From my understanding of the article, they weren't favorable to it. Now all we here in EKY. hear is that we should start leasing our land in order to bring in $$ from the elk. Thats two contradicting statements. Could there be some dissension in the dep.?

Maybe someone could post the article, I may have to go get it and do it myself. Point is, whats their stance on leasing land? Do they support it or don't they? If we lease our land for elk hunting, then we're not being supportive of the elk restoration process by allowing access to hunters, if we allow free access, then we're not reaping the benefits. Does the dep. really want the elk hunts to be high dollar hunts that may price the common guy out, or do they want us to allow free access to ensure 1000 hunters have somewhere to hunt? What do they want us to do? You can't preach it both ways.

Throughout this thread, I've read many times how that all we do is complain, and that if we're not part of the solution then we're part of the problem. Twice now, I've posted that I'm willing to help resolve some of these issues, and that I don't know how to do it. I've had zero recommendations from anyone. I assumed that those who beat us down for complaining had some ideas as to how to resolve these issues. What can I do to protect my deer hunting spot from being ruined by elk? How can I help keep them off the roadways? Can you guys do anything but complain about us complaining?

And please, no generic answers of "Start by contacting your biologist",

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  2. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY

Yeah, that's a good idea hotdog, you're advocating poaching elk over a garden. That's brilliant!

3. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    Great thread!!

I do not consider myself a flatlander, ridge runner maybe, but if you've seen my property definitely not a flatlander. I have stated before that I thought that the elk program takes a disproportionate share of the Dept's resources. This may just be a temporary situation, until more of the bugs are worked out, but still the elk affect all sportsmen in Ky., some a whole lot more than others.

I don't know what the solution is, there may not even be one, heck some of us still want more deer, some have too many deer, this is an ongoing situation with deer that have been around for 40 years, so the elk program, still in it's infancy, will be a continued work-in-progress for years to come.

One thing I am sure of is, that there will be people that will make good money off of the elk program. It may be the large landowners, it may be some individual that takes a chance and leases up the prime spots, but it will happen.

I plan on going the the LKS convention near Elkhorn City,(is that a coincidence?) June 6th and 7th. I might leave a little early and swing through Knott Co. and chew the fat with a some of you guys on that Friday afternoon. Any takers?

BTW-I think someone else, whom I won't name,:rolleyes: is heading there also, by way of West Virginia!!

4. 4onaside

4onaside 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    jackson,Tn
    Better yet, JD, KDF@WR could put in a summer season. Colorado has done just that in the San Luis valley to pacify the farmers who were complaining about the elks coming down out of the hills to feed on their crops. And some of you fellows could let some guy from Murray or Benton who got drawn for a coveted "summer tag" hide in your barn(for a fee, or course) and mow one down amongst your pole beans. Everybody wins! ;)

5. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    A couple of random thoughts......doubt your "strike" on mining coal for the "flatlands" will work to well. I'd bet you can't find to many coal mine owners who don't like the elk.

An ex-CO encourging people to break the law and shoot troublsom elk is really weird. Bet that would be different if he was on the job i elk country?

Deer hunting spots being ruined by elk is a myth. Been there and saw the truth myself. Elk and deer co-exist on the same mountains. If you don't have enough deer to suit, re-read this poaching thread and see if the reason jumps out at you.

In reality, which this thread doesn't deal with much, the elk will be the best thing that could happen to E. Ky. for small game. It's already opened up a lot of land that you all have been poaching on already to legal hunting. It'll continue doing that region wide.

6. Realtree man

Realtree man 8 pointer

Nov 10, 2006
    Knott County
    If you would re read what he posted, it says that he isnt telling anyone to go out and do that. You have no idea what you are talking about. I could tell that way back in this thread and by the rest of your 1,000 and some post. You are one of these people that likes to convince yourself that you know what you are talking about and you try to make it sound good even though it don't. Im going to take a line out of CM's book and say that i hope that your roads get overpopulated with these nuisance and i hope to god you see what we are talking about. But until then you are not even worth another comment from me so therefore i will set back and laugh at everything you say. Just like 85 % of people on this website does!

7. BuckUp

BuckUp Banned

Jan 30, 2007

Trust me that number is alot higher than that!!!;)

8. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    I think there are several folks that are discounting just how valuable transportation and a garden are to the survival of folks in Eastern Kentucky or all over this state for that matter.

Growing up I learned at a very early age how important "grandma's garden" was to her and the family. My Dad came from a large family with 9 other brothers and sisters, most were born during the depression. It is common to hear my aunts and uncles speak of an apple and a new pair of socks for Christmas presents and how excited they were to get the new pair of socks so they could use the old one to line their hole riddled shoes to keep their feet warm.

I read in an earlier post of someone being proud of their independence of store bought produce and only had to go as far as his cellar to get maters, taters and carrots to make a pot of soup for dinner and the images of my Grandmother working her garden religiously came to mind.

My point is this......There are still people that rely heavily on what they raise in their garden to sustain themselves. Just as they rely on deer and other wild game to put up in the freezer to add to that pot of soup in order to have sufficient protein in their diet.......So when I read comments about not showing mercy to a 1000 lbs Goliath that has moved in on someones source of survival I have great apathy........God gave man dominion over the animals he created for nourishment of his body......He didn't but wildlife on the earth for man to feed.........

Auto collisions involving vehicles are a big issue all across this state......You take a $4000 car or truck and hit a deer and have the airbags deploy and that vehicle is totaled...Take the same vehicle involving an elk and you are lucky to be alive......I would suspect that many folks in Eastern Kentucky have minimal insurance coverage and only carry liability on their vehicle......Where are they going to come up with another $4000 dollars to replace what they had.....? I would imagine that a vehicle is a very vital piece of equipment now days if you live in those hills and hollers.......I sure would hate to have to peddle or walk the highways taking the ditch every time a coal truck came barreling through......

I don't see the elk restoration program generating enough cash to offset what many folks have complained in this thread being at issue.......

If the KDFW has a playbook already in place then whoever the head coach is needs to start calling some plays because it sounds like to me that in many instances we are in sudden death overtime.........

9. some of the other counties you must be sending it to cause Knott county sure isnt.if you not getting it back which one of the other 118 is

10. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY

11. All of use on here should work for a good cause. i am sure if some want to release bears,cats of somekind,wolves,bison,wild hogs etc in a county where farming or they would hurt the people there would be an uproar ther where ever it maybe.i not really against the elk but not really for them but when the rest of the state say things again people from the area watch out.if any ones on here want to see elk let me know i will make sure you will get the thrill of what some of us go thru.come up and see how we live if you think this is a provety area.i go to Lexington Owensboro a lot plus differant places and see about the same stuff ther i do here.everyone have a good day i am getting more popcorn

12. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Headoftheholler are you the expception or the norm? Save the drama for your momma and take another look at what was written by everyone.....

Ill stand by my statements and bet that they are closer to true than you want to admit....

If folks didnt need to raise their own garden then they would buy it from their neighbor.......With all the elk viewing going on Im sure they would rather be doing that right!

13. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

Lets see multi, you've been here what............one day? Well your one day trumps me living here all my life I guess. You're border line calling me a liar. If I thought for one moment anyone paid any attention to anything you post, that would make me a little mad. But as Realtree correctly said, we all just picture you with clown shoes and a big red nose. And canemaker, made more sense in his first post than you've made in all of your's together. Maybe you shouldn't post about stuff you really don't know anything about.

Why don't some of you folks that assume you're so much more knowledgeable than us, answers some of the questions asked in both mine and others posts???

Oh yea, your strategy is to insult, insult, and then insult some more. I hope people here remember this when and if some of you guys get drawn. I really do.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  14. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Well It happened!!

One of my parts runners Just hit one over around the Pine Mountain Settlement school. He said 3 or 4 jumped off a bank and straight in front of him!!! 2006 1ton GMC Diesel Flatbed, We have a rollback on the way to pick it up, He said it would not steer or even roll. This is several we have seen on the road in the last few months, they REALLY must be looking for food.

People MUST understand, hitting an Elk is nothing like hitting a deer!!!!!

At least it was a company truck and he was not badly injured other than the airbag scraping his nose!!!

15. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Big Pete,

Have you and or your company seen the economic boon that everyone mention the elk program has generated? If so will the additional revenue you have witnessed from the elk project offset the cost of repairs to your company truck?