elk a great thing in Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Realtree man, Nov 26, 2007.

1. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    Exactly who do you think is creating the market for your coal? If we didn't buy it, it's pretty much a rock that will be worthless for 10,000 years until it becomes diamonds. What if we go to nukes? Natural gas fired plants? You aren't even beginning to make sense. Severance tax? A fart in a windstorm compared to the income tax, sales tax, property tax and all the other taxes.

I don't want a war with Eastern Kentucky. I do want everyone to recognize how it all works out.

A little fact for you. Households with 35k a year income and two kids have an income tax burden of -$1,500 per year. That means if you have two kids and make less than 35K a year, you get back 1500 in earned income credits. The median household income in Jefferson County is 42K. The median household income in the Eastern Kentucky counties are about 61% of that or about 25K per year. That means the average taxpayer in Jefferson County is paying taxes and the average taxpayer in Eastern Kentucky is getting transfer payments above any tax liability. We are sending you money to support your way of life. Just say "thank you", OK? You haven't refused to cash the checks, have you?

2. Realtree man

Realtree man 8 pointer

Nov 10, 2006
    Knott County
    My thought on this situation here is that the kdfwr would probably be wasting their time. They can go plant their habitats and all but i dont see it keeping the elk on top of a mountain. Like cm and the rest have said we are just going to have to learn to live with these things. It was so nice though before they were in here, you could actually set up food plots and not have to worry about elk tromping through them and eating it all up. You could actually hunt on the ground and not have to worry about these things running up and bothering you (and yes they have got me hunting out of tree stands now i just dont trust them lol). Speaking for myself they is the worst thing to ever hit the mountains of eastern Kentucky and it is only going to get worse. Economy or no economy in eastern Kentucky, i would much rather have my deer. Eastern Kentucky survived before the elk!

3. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    They can plant grass on the mountain tops all they want. When a garden of fresh veggies is to be had which would you choose;). The elk are here to stay and thats that. Im fortunate, the only thing they have cost me is sleep. When their on the hill behind the house the dogs wont shut up,LOL.. Im not going to get into the whole "Eastern,Ky financial woe's" topic. Ive beat my brains out on the topic. Unless you live here you cant really understand it...period There a SO...SO...Many things that are tied in to east,Kys financial problems. East,Ky politics, upper levels of the coal industry, crooked politicians then theirs the few that have lived a life of welfare. I mean the ones that have been on the draw since high school, never worked a day in theirs lives etc..I could go on for hours. Like I said, if you havent lived here with it and expeirenced it you just cant truely understand it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Go easy on the city folk, most live a sheltered, meager exsistance, dependent upon everyone else,(even if they are wealthy) though they claim,we are dependent on them. lol and most are very opinionated,(I think this is directly related to wealth)
    They have recieved most of their education from books,most of which are a single author's view, on a single topic........and most times its hear-say, at that. I would rather have master teach me a task, or learn on my own, as have a hundred with "masters degrees", tell me how to do it!

I have been around these, "well to do" people,my entire life, most can't start a fire......with kerosene, let alone even think about becoming self sufficient. Hell most don't know what a GreasyGrit is, let alone a Wyandotte, shoat or a mousey brown Jersey?
    yea, they complain about how their tax dollars are spent, the price of food yada yada, yada,.........but what on earth would they do, if the country side magically disapeared from around their "majestic city". Heck, what if the garbage truck, don't run for a couple of weeks... or water don't come out of the tap when the valve is turned,........ or now, what if all of the Mexicans did go home...........total chaos? What would they have, if their money was'nt worth the paper it was printed on? If the big trucks, fail to make their deliveries, for just one day, MAJOR DELEMA!

So the way I see it, instead of complaining about the tax dollars invested in us common, country hicks.......they should be thankin us, for the foundation of their fort.........I have always known, a foundation is the most important part, of anything!.......and that did'nt come from a book, just common sense instilled in me from birth, mountain people seem to have more of the common type, sense that is!

I'll tell ya one thing, I could live and prosper, if society collapsed tomorow, maybe I'm the rich one, and just don't know it, HUM?......now I'm off to, carry tomorows wood in, and stop by the smokehouse and barn,for some ham and eggs for breakfast, may stop by the cellar too, to get the wife some taters, maters, cabbage, onions and carrots for a big pot of soup, for dinner tomorow..... ;)

5. the average coal miner in eastern ky make roughly $40,000 plus a year.i made 64,000 working 4 on 4off.thats half the tim work.paid in over $10,000 dollars in federal and state taxes.get a refund of $500 plus a few odd cents..most of the coal we mine goes to other states and the overeas maket is getting better.hope you make plenty money cause when the coal is cut out your power bill is going thru the roof.along with other stuff.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  6. amen
    just gets me mad when someone thinks they are better than some else because they own a lot of land have a lot of money.the people like this is the one i like to quote the singer Jerry Lee Lewis when he left England THEY CAN KISS MY A--

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    With all the stopping coal production talk because of the elk.. makes me glad that a big majority of my power still comes from water. :D

8. hotdog

hotdog 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Pike Co.,Ky
    Guys I don't see why you waste you time with some of these guys,they don't have to put up with these elk.The best thing to do Is when they are destroying you property,take care of It your self and keep your mouth shut.I know of several people that are going to feed them to the coyotes this summer If they get-in-there gardens.;)

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Not only that.... I'd get on here and start a summer elk harvest thread with pics & stories. A big bull dropped between the cucumbers & a row of sweet corn would be priceless. :rolleyes:

Be sure to include your name & adress with the harvest photo so Uncle Lees can enter you in the biggest summer elk contest. Lots of prizes to be had & KDF&WR will deliver them right to your door. :eek:

10. hotdog

hotdog 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Pike Co.,Ky
    Jd I will see what I can do for you my friend.:D Might be able to get a before and after.:D Wonder what I would win If I could film It?:D

11. canemaker

canemaker 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2007
    Lemhi, Idaho
    I have only one thing to say...

The locals in Idaho hate the wolf...USFW, as you may or may not know, introduced them into the River Of No Retrun Wilderness several years ago...

They have now grown into several large packs. Last count was 20 or so packs, I think....don't quote me as it being this many or this few..would have to ask my dad, as he lives in Salmon which is on the edge of the Wilderness area..

The wolves are destroying the elk and moose there....Actually enough to make a real difference in the populations in places... I have been there in the summer months scouting in the backcountry and had as many as 2 different packs howls put me to sleep at night....cool, but creepy at the same time...

Now for the rest of the story..............................

The locals have a creed in which they live by, that is the ones that hunt do.........

They call it the 3 S's......

Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up......

No, I am not advocating breaking the law... Just merely passing along information that I happen to know about concerning problem animals...:)

12. Dangermouse

Dangermouse 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2004
    Hazard, Ky, USA.
    Quote:Originally Posted by daking
    If people in Eastern Kentucky are fine with things the way they are, that's ok by me. They should be equally fine with counties like Jefferson, Fayette, Boone, Kenton, Campbell, Daviess, Henderson and McCrackin not sending a huge share of their tax revenues to Eastern Kentucky to make sure things don't change. It's time for you guys to start paying your own way. We can't afford it anymore.

I've been trying to stay out of this thread, BUT, I've decided I want to nominate the above for this year's "STUPID STATEMENT AWARD".

I will second 6x6's nomination, and say Daking has a strong lead for 2008.

I believe coal's gross was over 4 billion dollars
    The take from the Severance Tax was about 215 million dollars

Less than 30% is returned to coal producing counties.
    It was agreed in the 1970s that 50% should be returned to coal counties,but by 1992 was still only 7.6%

The fart in the wind, would be better discribed as a windfall for non-coal counties. One that they have proven time and time again their not willing to give up.
    Actually this is only part, of the Severance taxes collected. It does not include oil,natural gas, and timber. I havent seen figures on the other resources, but I think we are closing in on 1/2 billion dollars.

The comment about were would you sale your coal, to me boards on the bizarre. Coal is still the cheapest power generation fuel avaliable. I will agree that someone needs to start making sense. Nukes ? No licences for one in the US for 20 or 30 years. N.Gas unstable prices. Maybe someone was going for runner-up in a certain AWARD.

Facts, I like facts hummmm, lets seee.
    Whats this, around 30% of Jefferson Co families recieved EITC
    Why thats about 100,000 families:eek:

Why we all know there will be more that in them hillbilly counties, right.
    My home Leslie, 5000 fam by ah 50%= 2500 maybe next one

Perry 11000 fam by 45% = 4950

Letcher 10000 fam by 40% = 4000

Breathitt 6000 fam by 45% = 2700

Harlan 13000 fam by 45% = 5850

Why thats only 20,000 families from SE KY, sounds like we are supporting your way of life, thats ok Daking yoiu can thank us when you see us. Dag gone if those facts just dont get in the way.:D

13. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

After this post, I only have one thing to say!!

DAKING, You have something hanging out your mouth,,,,,,,

Shoelaces!!!!

Open Mouth, Insert foot!!!

14. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    Stupid? Gnaw on these facts for a while:

Jefferson county sends 330 million a year in taxes to Frankfort to fund education. That's over and above what we spend on our schools. Someone somewhere is getting their education in Kentucky courtesy of Jefferson County. Three hundred and thirty million bucks worth.

We send 220 million dollars in road taxes to Frankfort back each year and get back about a third. That means that somewhere someone is taking care of their Kentucky roads thanks to 140 million from Jefferson County.

Stupid? Stubborn things like facts? Looks to me like Jefferson County is sending a half-billion dollars a year to Frankfort to be distributed other places.

15. droopy

droopy 10 pointer

i can honestly say my area is'nt bad but if you want to talk about education money and road money you better look somewhere besides eastern ky.my work lets me deal with a lot of folks in the east and i can tell you the schools and roads are both in GREAT NEED OF REPAIRS,so i'm guessing you have the check in the mail for them.