elk a great thing in Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Realtree man, Nov 26, 2007.

1. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    Jefferson County gets less than thirty percent of the tax they pay to Frankfort back. Exactly where do you suppose it goes?

Let's take a look at how many people in EKY get a government check. Where exactly do you think that money comes from.

We PAY for the coal we buy to fire our plants. We buy your products and send you our tax money. How much exactly do you think is a fair amount for you to extract from Jefferson Countians?

Sure, I have a pretty nice gig going. I worked two jobs, watched my money, drove old cars and was generally careful. I made it a point to live in a place where I could make a living. I didn't start with a silver spoon in my mouth. I was one of eight kids born to a factory worker. I learned early that if I wanted an education, nice house in the burbs, enough dough to educate my kids and what-not, I was going to have to work very hard, be careful with my money and make good decisions. No one gave me a damn thing. I had to overcome obstacles, so don't think for a minute it's been all skittles and beer. It has not. I'm just now reaping the rewards for a lot of delayed gratification.

No offense, but if the charm of living in a particular area is great enough to offset a lack of economic opportunity it should be so valuable that you don't look to anyone else to subsidize it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    The elk are here, we will learn to live with them. But please don't feed us a turd and tell us its a brownie. East Ky. folk are for the most part proud of their heritage. Sure some mooch without ever having given to the pot, but I've driven through downtown lexington, and louisville, and I see way more er uhhhhh........moochers on my drive. You folks want to talk numbers, lets do a area comparsion of the percentage of moochers in these areas compared to the pop. here. I will say, I'd rather see elk along the roads where I live than what you guys see on your streets. Thats for certain.

If you guys really want to know why theres no industry other than coal here, it's because the fat daddys with the money and control know that a if a plant with good paying jobs and benefits were to come here, that it would draw their workforce away from the mining industry. There I said it, since no-one else will. I read a very interesting article a couple of years ago discussing the control these "Donald Trumps" have over the area. How that as more of our appalachia children obtain college degrees, that less weak minded-strong backed worker bees were being turned out to mine their coal for them. Also how immigrants were being "courted" to the area so as to get a segment of society with which they can regain control. Great read, and I agree %100.

So the workforce is here multi, thats never been the problem. It's the puppet politicians thats the problem.

Daking, feel free to start the disannexation process. However remember this, the little toe may seem insignificant to the head, but take away that toe and watch the whole body limp.

Byron

3. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    And, conversely, take away the head and the toe will become a rotted mass of dead flesh.

4. DW

DW 8 pointer

Sep 3, 2004
    Pilot View, KY.
    Imagine if all of this passion were directed towards a common goal.

5. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

Unless it was transplanted to another "foot"............Virginia maybe?

6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    so don't think for a minute it's been all skittles and beer

mmmmm, that sounds pretty dang good right now...:D

7. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    all these insults are gonna cost y'all when elk time comes:p you cant insult east kentuckians over and over then when elk season rolls around, exspect a freebie like previous years. dont talk about us receiving handouts. how many drawees over the years had to pay for the land they hunted? we need tghe money here, and it sounds like a good way to get it! maybe then, we wont have to miss a single episode of springer .

8. mgpatty

mgpatty 10 pointer

Nov 15, 2007
    Floyd County
    Since we are going in this direction with this thread, I might as well chime in. Eastern Kentucky has, historically, had many obstacles to economic prosperity. IMO, CM12 is right when he suggests that the coal industry has been partly to blame for some of these obstacles. However, the problem goes much further back than today’s business leaders in the coal industry. The problem can be traced back to the late 1800s when coal rights were purchased for mere pennies per acre. In essence, Eastern Kentucky’s inheritance was given away for practically nothing by our ancestors. Wealthy coal barrons often used local business men to purchase, for the company, all the large tracts of coal that are now held by today’s ‘big cats’. People at that time had no understanding as to the true value of their coal rights. They were told things such as ‘You can keep your land, we only want what lays beneath it hundreds of feet’.
    Today, when our children receive a higher education, they generally migrate to other areas. This is due to a variety of reasons. Many of those reasons are the same reasons why other industries do not want to locate here.

9. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    very true there mgpatty!

10. trader rob

trader rob 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2004
    ne ky..
    well looks like we have finally got down to it. i really don't care one way or the other about an elk. they are going to be forced on those people whether they want them or not. when you can put them on several thousand acres, the small landholders will be largely ignored. something they are probably used to from the coal and timber companies.

some of the finest people i know live in e. ky. they have no right to be treated like they have. they have hopes and dreams just like anyone else. i don't see anything wrong with living a simple life, is that not what most flatlanders do when they get enough money, buy up some land in the country to enjoy. seems some want to enjoy what there is in e. ky. but don't want to have to be bothered with the poor dumb people, unless they need directions or something carried.

last i heard, when you get out of the little fish bowl, into the large pool, nowhere in ky is exactly a culture mecca, no matter how much you may wish it.

some of you fellows should be ashamed.

11. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    thats very kind trader rob. and, i dont dislike everybody living outside of here either. i have some very good friends in the northern counties. however, i dont appreciate being called a dumbass on elk restoration by somebody that doesnt know as much about elk as they say they do. thats like me trying to convince a pig farmer that the feed hes using is not benefitting his stock as much as it should be. im not a pig farmer, so most of my knowlege on the subject doesnt amount to crap. thats the way i feel on the elk subject. outsiders using insults to combat our opinions. that IS pretty low guys. almost, as bad as the elk.

12. okay this one done it for me.the other counties seem to enjoy the coal servence tax they get from the coal we produce.their share of the dollars they get from our buying stuff to hunt and fish with.like i read farther on when you turn on the lights figure where the most of that came from.

13. why dont some of the other people come up and live in our shoes for a week or so.i make good money probly more than some on here and it all in the coal industly.like someone said in another post i would rather meet up with a elk or some other thing than some drug enrage maniac with a gun on ther streets of some city.look at your news real close and decide which you rather face everyday proud the be from Knott county are you proud of where you live.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  14. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    Sixty three pages and no answers.

Lets' take this thread another direction. As I said earlier, I"m willing to do what I can to help this work for EVERYONE, and that includes the residents. What can I do? The land is either coal land or private. The private tracks are generally small in acreage. The coal land is mostly still under bond. What can we do to help all wildlife? I'm not mr. money bags by the way. I'm limited as to what I can contribute, course I could make the argument that I didn't bring on this problem so why should I fix it, but for the sake of the local residents future hunting of other things than elk, I'm willing. The only thing I've learned that we can go on is that during milder winters, the elk are less of a residental nuisance. That's about it. I'm interested in ways of keeping our whitetail herd healty and at a huntable number, as well as rabbits, quail, grouse, etc. I have no clue as to how to do this as the elk eat everything. It isn't widespread, but where there's elk, theres loss of food and habitat close behind. So, lets here it. Lets talk some hunting for awhile.

15. EKY.MTN.HUNTER

EKY.MTN.HUNTER 12 pointer

Jul 19, 2006
    Las Montanas
    RMEF and KDFW, wasn't there talk out of these groups about planting habitat on the mountain tops to keep the elk out of peoples yards?