elk a great thing in Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Realtree man, Nov 26, 2007.

1. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    i agree, some will have success. theres a few that already have and im glad that someone can profit. theres probably alot on here that would try to make an extra buck in the fall, but our options are limited. most know they will probably never benefit and are just trying to preserve what hunting ground they do have. guess all of us will just have to see what becomes of this project in the future.

2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    well, when everyone drives by them every morning in peoples yards, why dont they do something? i really dont know why? if the public can see them, our professionals are seeing them as well. however, they cant just run up and down the road shoooing elk out of everyones yard everyday either. hell, i dont know any solutions for this problem that wouldnt leave an elk dead. its a big problem! maybe they will issue everybody tasers or something, lol. i guess well just wait and see:)

3. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    Why didn't they do something when this guy called over his cemetary issue? Several times?

Exactly what would they have done?

When the restoration project was being kicked around, economics wasn't the reason, it was a pet project of a select few, and they intended to do it at all cost. I've talked to too many people that ought to know what they're talking about to believe otherwise.

Now, all we here is economics. Well, we'll trade the elk for the Toyota plant. How's that for a deal. You guys could maybe get a job as a tour guide for minimum wage, no benefits. Or you could try to get a guide service going, and find that its not too profitable verses the headaches. Maybe lease your land for a couple hundred. And its all maybe.
    And we could get jobs with Toyota making $28.00 plus and hour with full benefits.

So give me a break with this economis crap. A few minimum wage jobs for the average joe, and a little more jingle for fat daddy.

So the virginia conclusion is an opinion? It's certainly not the opinion of one person, its a targeted inquiry to the pros and cons of elk restoration, done by several groups.

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    TRUE!
    TRUE! Industry, and jobs are the answer.............not elk!

5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    We'uns might look dum,but we is not dum, as you'un's, thanks we is!:D

6. mgpatty

mgpatty 10 pointer

Nov 15, 2007
    Floyd County
    Anybody in the area would love to see something such as Toyota locate in the area. However, that's not going to happen. What we do have a chance at is tourism and tourism related industries. Don't underestimate the economic benefits of tourism. Take the time and do a little research on the tourism industry and I think you'd be surprised to find out exactly how much money it can bring into a area. Furthermore, those few who start out at a minimum wage job would probably disagree with you that they shouldn't be afforded a opportunity at employment. It's much better to start out at $7.00 a hour than to sit at the house watching Springer drawing govt. benefits, but I digress.
    Industries such as Toyota, unfortunately, do not want to locate in the area. A few years ago, there was a possiblity that a automobile manufacturing plant was going to be put in the area. However, in the end they decided against it. Some of the reasons they gave were that the roads conditions were too bad, there wasn't enough recreationally oportunities, not enough quality housing, and trash along every highway was mentioned. That's most of what I can remember off the top of my head. But the regions economic woes goes further than this. In the end, you can thank our elected officials in Frankfort for the poor economics in the area. Unltimately, they are the ones who are responsible for encouraging industries to locate in the area. On the Fedaral level, every time our elected officials in D.C try to bring Federal jobs into the region they are fought on the local level by the citizens. Look at the Federal prisons that have located here. Many citizens said 'We don't need a prison...It'll bring in crime, drugs, etc....People will escape and break into our homes...Etc, Etc, Etc. They tried to locate a high paying Federal facility (something to do with Terrorism research if I remember correctly) in the London area. However that was ultimately dismissed, due in part to local outrage at the idea.

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    mg, I will give you a TRUE, too!
    But all of the things you mentioned, can be overcome........with a little work. Roads can be built, and trash can be picked up! In my opinion, a new super highway into the region, would work more miracles than anything else? And there is always the possibility, that the majority of the people of E.Ky.,are happy the way things are, and don't want change! Most know the old saying about, leadin the horse to water......I think that applys to E.Ky......And if they don't want change, well thats alright too...... by me! This is the USA, is it not?:cool:

8. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    East Ky. doesn't have the work force to support an industry such as Toyota. Too many people on the take that won't work even if they could. Some can't no doubt, but not all. That's the main reason it's a Democratic stronghold.

9. mgpatty

mgpatty 10 pointer

Nov 15, 2007
    Floyd County
    barney, if things do not change in Eastern Kentucky then it is ok by me as well. People will look for other areas of revenue besides big industries. However, we are doing ourselves a great disservice by not acknowledging the roadblocks to a successful economy in Eastern Kentucky. Speaking in generally terms, not pointing fingers, people wonder why there are no high paying jobs in the region. They do not understand that we, as citizens of E. Ky, play a role in those industries locating here. Most people in the area (or even in the country, for that matter) have never contacted any of their elected representative in Frankfort or D.C. They have never let their voices be known. They are too preoccupied with who's going to win a race, what team's are playing, or what was said on Springer or Oprah (hence the big effect Oprah is having on the Obama campaign).

10. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    If people in Eastern Kentucky are fine with things the way they are, that's ok by me. They should be equally fine with counties like Jefferson, Fayette, Boone, Kenton, Campbell, Daviess, Henderson and McCrackin not sending a huge share of their tax revenues to Eastern Kentucky to make sure things don't change. It's time for you guys to start paying your own way. We can't afford it anymore.

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    daking, you seem to have done very well for yourself in life, you seem comfortable and well educated, with a nice home in a prominent, suberb of Louisville, you drive a nic...........on second thoughts,you have a car.:) Please explain what E.Ky, has cost you,or taken from you personally. and how many trips have you made in the last decade to view the elk? You are an elk supporter, aren't you?;)

12. screamin6x6

screamin6x6 BBBC Members

I've been trying to stay out of this thread, BUT, I've decided I want to nominate the above for this year's "STUPID STATEMENT AWARD".

13. droopy

droopy 10 pointer

Sam i have to agree with you.maybe next time he turns on a light he'll go down to the local power plant,look at the coal pile and thank some poor e.ky, miner,BUT I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT.

14. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Lets quit mining coal and let the BASTARDS freeze in the dark!!!!

How about our coal severence dollars going to Jefferson County!!!!! Just how much coal has Jefferson County Mined.

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Ahhhhhhhh......but its all true......and daking, will be by shortly to tell us all..........AGAIN, how the statement above, is possible, sure hope he types slow so us'in's can understand it?:cool: