elk a great thing in Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Realtree man, Nov 26, 2007.

1. mgpatty

mgpatty 10 pointer

Nov 15, 2007
    Floyd County
    Why are you so admantly against something that is going to benefit ALL the people in eastern Kentucky. I can understand you frustration if they are in your garden and such, but to put that above the economic well being of all people in the region is somewhat selfish. I suppose that when the deer are in my garden, or I hit one on the way to work, I can send you the bill since you are a deer hunter:D

2. 4onaside

4onaside 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    jackson,Tn
    Last one out, turn out the lights and lock the door. :)

3. mgpatty

mgpatty 10 pointer

Nov 15, 2007
    Floyd County
    I own over a hundred acres of land in Lawrence county that has...

Many numerous, beautiful house sites (many ridge top, with beautiful views)
    County water
    Good county road
    Some coal
    Many hardwood trees (all types of oak, walnut, hickory, cherry, etc)
    And most importantly, none of those nasty elk. Nothing but purebred mountain whitetail.

I think that I ought to ask twice the price per acre than what you are asking:D

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    The old saying... "be carefull what you wish for" could be true in this case.

5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Assign about 250-400+ elk hunters to knott co...... Now were talking! either implement alot of food for em, or get em out of the area. theres plenty to go around and i hope all of you get drawn. and, i mean that in the most kind way possible!:) thinning em out considerably in this problem area would probably be the best choice though.

6. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    See, You made my point perfectly!!!

According to your thoughts on the economic impact of the "cattle" My land with the "cattle" is MUCH more valuable than yours without them!!! Yoy must remember, AS YOU SAID,,,, People come from other states to look at the elk, thats why my land is so valuable!!!!:)

HOGWASH!!!!!

7. droopy

droopy 10 pointer

i dont believe the average person in the zone will see much economic bennifit from the elk.some of the buissnesses will bgain some but it's not going to be what people expect.i made several bowhunting trips and had a guide for the gun hunt and my total expense,guide fee,gas,meals and all was way less than a thousand dollars.like i say some buissneses will gain but not many people.

8. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

I agree, at the moment this appears to be the logical choice. Could be a nightmare with that number of hunters in the areas needing thinned out though. I think you understand that.

On the other hand,, I'm willing to do what I can to help remedy some of these issues. I'll buy a bag of seed, plow some ground, plant trees, whatever, I just don't know where to start. Evidently neither does the dep.

9. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    I'm designing a bumper sticker for us "elk haters" as we've been labled.

Whadda' you guys think about these slogans?

SAVE A PINE---SHOOT AN ELK!!!

HELP CONTROL THE PET POPULATION, HAVE YOUR ELK SPAYED OR NEUTERED!

FREE STANKY!!!

ELK, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

CAUTION, I BRAKE FOR ELK

ELK, THE OTHER POACHED MEAT!

Which one guys??

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  10. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Have you fellars over there in Knott county talked to your "IRS tax return filers" to see how to treat the economic impact of having elk.
    On the sale of elk property, have you determined a "bases" of value for determining "long term or short term capital gains" ?
    What is the tax liability impact on "inheriting elk property"?
    For tax purposes, is there a minimum acreage for to qualify for exclusion?
    Something to think about during the "off season".

11. mgpatty

mgpatty 10 pointer

Nov 15, 2007
    Floyd County
    Actually, if you truly feel that your land is now worth more then you have made my point. Either your land is now more valuable, or it has been hurt because of the elk. You can't have it both ways. If elk are indeed a negative factor (as I believe you were trying to convey with your sarcasm in your orginal post), then your land would indeed be worth less. However, I highly doubt that you would sell your land for $200 a acres.
    As far as it being HOGWASH that people are coming here to see the elk, I guess all those folks who have said "Where can I go to see the elk?" aren't really wanting to see them. Maybe you should try to convince them that they really don't want to see the elk. Like I said, I am directly involved in the business community (can you say the same). I do not try to make people think that my personal feelings are fact. You are letting your own personal feelings on the subject cloud your judgement. Seriously, some people need to take a refresher course on Economics 101. Do you want this area to remain one of the poorest in the nation for generations to come?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  12. Jughead

Jughead Banned

Nov 14, 2006
    Kentucky
    i dunno i like them all. you'd make millions in knott county if you made these bumper stickers. maybe a t-shirt would do well.

13. hannibal

hannibal 6 pointer

Aug 8, 2007
    Western, KY

are they going to be able to afford bumpers? the elk are destroying everything and they are having to replace it. hell, the elk will probably just eat the bumper stickers.

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Alright... I'm going to ask a dumb question.

I figure most of you hunt or you wouldnt be on this site. There been a lot of statements to the effect of posting your land and charging considerable amounts to elk hunters to offset the damage & stuff.

Why wont you follow through with it??

Being one of those "flatlanders" ... every direction I turn the ground is leased or posted for hunting. We have posted our farm since the day we bought it. Its already at a point in most of the state that if you dont lease or hunt public ground your just about SOL. If you own the ground... leases for deer & turkey hunting are binging in from $10-$25 an acre and I even know some guys that are charging by the day from $100 plus per person to hunt their ground.

Our place was purchased on the intent of family hunting & personal use but would'nt take much to turn that into a money maker for deer & turkey. I dont see that being necessary in our case but its something we could all fall back on for some extra income.

Looks to me ... if you got that many elk & the land... your sitting on some potential earnings. Might mean marking your boundaries.. installing some gates to help control access or even working on food plots to draw & hold the animals. A little advertising & working with KDF&WR on your part and you have started your own business for a few months out of the year. I know its a limited draw but people will have to have a place to hunt. As the draws increase and asigning units...I can not believe theres not a way to provide some extra income if you willing to put the effort in it.

I'd also say tax wise the land being a farm... much of the improvements or equipment purchased could be written off or at least depriciated over time...including repairs by elk damage.

15. mgpatty

mgpatty 10 pointer

Nov 15, 2007
    Floyd County
    In all honesty, if I owned several hundred acres of reclaimed land in counties such as Perry, Letcher, Knott, Floyd, or Magoffin I would be in favor of anything that might drawn more visitors to the area. Things such as annual horse rides, regional atv trails, wildlife viewing, and regional festivals all drawn in visitors from other parts of Kentucky, as well as out-of-state tourists. Other states have done very well economically from promoting activities such as these. There are many avenues landowners can pursue if they are willing to invest a little time and effort into research.