elk a great thing in Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Realtree man, Nov 26, 2007.

1. BuckUp

BuckUp Banned

Jan 30, 2007
    Quote from 4onaside.....
    Of course the problem arises with the definitions of pen and/or wild. I saw a video of a guy shooting an African Lion that was obiously tame and in an enclosure. Pretty disgusting, and is certainly not hunting. On the other hand, some of the Texas High Fence Ranches are so large that the animals within the enclosure don't know that they are in the enclosure, some having probably never even encountered the fence, and are as wild as if they were on non-fenced property. However, I suspect that due to space constraints, most of the operations in the East are not fair chase, if for no other reason because of the too small area. Plus, I suspect that most of the animals are aclimated to humans and could not be considered "wild". Pen raised, flight conditioned game birds however, are another matter, because...........they can fly. lol

Here's one of your anti hunters!!!!

2. raven_over_easy

raven_over_easy 12 pointer

Aug 19, 2006
    If you take a look at where the complains on this forum are coming from you will notice a commonality of location- Knott County. Elk populations are higher in this restoration county, compared to many of the other restoration counties. I have yet to read in the paper, or any where else, where there is a huge conflict with the elk in EKY. -(other than here)
    The habitat improvement projects that the RMEF and KDFW are currently developing will help alleviate some of the issues some are experiencing. These habitat improvements will benefit all wildlife by restoring more native cool season grasslands.

3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    i can live with that! sounds good!

4. Realtree man

Realtree man 8 pointer

Nov 10, 2006
    Knott County
    yeah i agree with mudhole this sounds good!

5. Realtree man

Realtree man 8 pointer

Nov 10, 2006
    Knott County
    but hey guys if you all dont care even though i just agreed with what raven said. Could you all please continue to disagree cause i really want this thread i started to make it to 100 pages lol...:D

6. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    if it lasts till summer, u can bank on it.

7. mgpatty

mgpatty 10 pointer

Nov 15, 2007
    Floyd County
    How is it greedy to want Eastern Kentucky to prosper economically from the elk restoration project? Anything that promotes tourism helps the entire area, not just a few.

8. Dangermouse

Dangermouse 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2004
    Hazard, Ky, USA.
    Ah more of the mysterious economic elk tourism propaganda. :D Since I live here too, I will just ignore Hillary type rhetoric, no numbers to counter what has already been said.

It's strange to me how anyone can be against a canned hunt, and think E.KY elk hunt is the best thing since sliced bread. I dont have a problem with either, but I dont have a problem with busting a cap on a Angus, and consider the skill level about the same. I have actually got within 10yds with a 7.3 diesel :eek:

It's also strange to me how someone can be furious over someone trespassing on them the 1st day of rifle season, sitting in thier deer stand. And thinking a elk wiping out a vegetable garden is some kinda joke. For those that dont know, even a small garden can be worth several thousand dollars. And if you compare that to the realized income from elk tourism per household which equals about aah = 0.00

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I don't live in Knott but am pretty close. We have elk but not in densely settled areas like in Knott, so we don't have the same degree of the associated problems.

I'd say it would be real hard for the rest of us to understand the issues they face over there without actually living there and dealing with it 24/7. I think it's kind of funny to see folks living 300-500 miles away setting the Knott residents straight on the elk issue. I'm next door and I wouldn't presume for a minute to have the answers for them.

I've heard the same pro/con arguments from Knott residents (and other counties) away from this forum, in about the same proportions. I figure there are obviously a bunch of digruntled residents, and the KDFWR owes it to these folks to look closely at the problem and work with them on it.

I think we all agree that if there are troublesome elk in an area, it would be better to thin them out by using legal hunters as opposed to local vigilantes having to do it themselves.

10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I know what you mean. I recently had to put up a gate to keep the drunks and theives off my property. Ive even had people stealing the bark of my Elem trees for gods sake:mad: You just cant be all over your property all the time. I cant for life of me understand the need to destroy and steal property. Its like a posted sign is a challenge to them or something. And people wonder why Im so picky about who I let hunt my property?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  11. 4onaside

4onaside 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    jackson,Tn
    Do you think shooting a tame African Lion in a pen is hunting?? If so, your neighbors who own dogs really better keep them up.

12. mgpatty

mgpatty 10 pointer

Nov 15, 2007
    Floyd County
    Nope, no propaganda talkin' here. I also don't interpret my own personal feelings about a particular subject as fact. It wouldn't be such a mystery if you actually took the time to research it. If you want to talk numbers, I suggest you start calling around to local business owners and ask them if they think elk can improve tourism. I can tell you, as fact, that out-of-state tourists are coming to Eastern Kentucky. Often times they want to know where they can go to see the elk. This isn't gossip or second hand information. This comes directly from people (who I know well and talk to on a daily basis) who actually make their living from sales and tourism. As far as not understanding how the economics of tourism works , that could be a whole different thread all together. Simply put, local businesses such as 'mom and pops' type stores, retailers, convenicne stores, and hospiatality businesses, just to name a few, all benefit from tourism. The better they do, the more people they can employee. Furthermore, the more revenue they generate, the more taxes (local, state, and federal) they pay.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I think it should be mandatory, to report all elk damage within the restoration zone! Then, each time damage is reported, each person who put in for the elk lottery.....who lives outside the elk zone, should......by law, have to donate $100 dollars, to the church of their choice, within the restoration zone, and rotate the tires on each and every vehicle they own..........the old fashioned way!....... If its damage to a garden.........double the donation, and change the oil too!! Just seems fair to show support, to the people who are supporting these "majestic creatures" with their money and sweat,...........................for you!!;):eek:

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    See above.............guaranteed to put money, in eastern Ky.!!!!!!!

15. raven_over_easy

raven_over_easy 12 pointer

Aug 19, 2006
    I'm not trying to set anybody straight. It's been said, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." My advise is to keep contacting the department, possibly request a town hall meeting to discuss the issue with the decision makers. Go to the commission meetings. Get involved. Contact the department and offer up access for the elk hunts. Another way to help yourself is by applying for the hunt. I agree that legal hunters should be the ones doing the thinning of the herd.

With the proposed EHUs, I have a feeling that help is on the way! Assign about 250 of the 400+ elk hunters to Knott CO.:D